<<SOLD>>Thursday Blue Light Special...Stanley 5 1/2 C
Politics 
This is one I have had for 20yrs or more...I have heard that the 5 1/2 was Stanley's answer to the Heavy British panel planes they are so famous for. It IS a brute..like a No. 5 on steroids!!!..And it is corrugated, which makes them even more rare and desirable. Rosewood is perfect and I see NO signs of any Japanning loss, which is extremely surprising. There's some small amount of staining but that could be eliminated with the use of some #120 sandpaper. The iron is nearly full length and it is hair-poppingly sharp, hollow ground and highly polished. {My thumb knows how sharp it is}!!!!!!
Angry..............If you have ever wanted one of these battleships, I do not believe you will find a better example for twice the price...{Check Ebay prices for completed sales to see what I mean}..Priced to sell quickly at $100.00 Plus actual shipping charges...it is heavy!

I don't use Paypal but your check {or postal money order} is fine with me..I will ship after check clears. USA sale only...Pics to follow..Thanks for looking..

[Image: 7-CE04177-D531-4-ED8-9-BC6-898-FEC347-E65-1-201-a.jpg]

[Image: 4-E35-CC17-2-C62-436-D-81-C5-F4-AFEF75-EF67-1-201-a.jpg]

[Image: 995-D8290-3419-4683-851-C-AD9331-FDBAC7-1-201-a.jpg]

[Image: 99-B29-CFB-4-B86-4-D50-B616-B5-EF8-E7656-AB-1-201-a.jpg]

[Image: 03-E71401-FCEE-4-BD6-B94-C-966-D7762-C710.jpg]
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

This is a later produced 5 1/2.  Mine is a 2 1/4 width plane. To my knowledge no one makes an after an after market blade or chip breaker for my earlier model. This one has a 2 3/8th blade so an after market blade is available. A blade for  4 1/2,  6 and 7 blade fits it. I mention it only because some prefer after market blades The 5 1/2 planes are popular at the present and this one is a very nice plane, priced at a very affordable price, as far as a 5 1/2 plane goes. 

Good buy.

Tom
(03-30-2023, 10:44 AM)tablesawtom Wrote: This is a later produced 5 1/2.  Mine is a 2 1/4 width plane. To my knowledge no one makes an after an after market blade or chip breaker for my earlier model. This one has a 2 3/8th blade so an after market blade is available. A blade for  4 1/2,  6 and 7 blade fits it. I mention it only because some prefer after market blades The 5 1/2 planes are popular at the present and this one is a very nice plane, priced at a very affordable price, as far as a 5 1/2 plane goes. 

Good buy.

Tom

Thanks Tom...I kept it for my user because it is in such nice condition..The blade still had the factory edge until yesterday when I had time to sharpen it. and how the casting managed to retain all the original japanning baffles me..It does seem much heavier than others I have had, which sounds reasonable since it has the wider blade as you suggest. There's more cast iron in the body...I see one restored sold for $200.00 on Ebay recently. This is going to make someone a fine user..I have a #7 going up for sale soon, but at my age, I have do do what I can when I feel ok.

Jack

Get off my lawn !
Upset

Nice. Don't bump into 5-1/2s every day
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

Lovely specimen. Lov the heft of the 5-1/2s.  
Cool
(03-30-2023, 10:44 AM)tablesawtom Wrote: This is a later produced 5 1/2.  Mine is a 2 1/4 width plane. To my knowledge no one makes an after an after market blade or chip breaker for my earlier model. 

Blast from the past... Lie-Nielsen may have 'em (the blade anyway) or can fab one if you contact them directly.  At least they didn't hesitate to make one for for my Type 10 No. 5-1/2 and knew exactly what I was requesting for back in the day when they were still in full manufacturing operations.  Also, IIRC, I specifically requested for my L-N 5-1/2 blade to be of thinner gauge - thicker than an OEM Stanley blade but not as thick as L-N's usual standard for the 4-1/2 and larger planes, so same gauge as their No. 4 blade? - in able to fit the finer throat of my Type 10 No. 5-1/2. 

[Image: Stanley_No4andahalf_No5andahalf_LNblades_640.jpg]

[Image: Stanley_No4andahalf_No5andahalf_LNblades_a_480.jpg]

[Image: Stanley_No5andahalf_Type11_LNblade_blade_320.jpg]

Cian - adding no value whatsoever
To get back on topic, that pretty 5-1/2 which Timberwolf is offering appears to be a Type 17 of war-time production during 1942-1945.  They were heavier during that era, with the notion that Stanley was more focused on producing tooling vs grinding/refining during that escalated time of US industrial manufacturing, thus leaving the plane casting with thicker cheeks and sole. The unseen benefit is that we end up with a heavier plane which is seemingly more desired in the modern era.  If I was hunting for Type 17s, that one would be on my short list - the rosewood and Japanning look great!
(04-11-2023, 11:42 AM)Cian Wrote: To get back on topic, that pretty 5-1/2 which Timberwolf is offering appears to be a Type 17 of war-time production during 1942-1945.  They were heavier during that era, with the notion that Stanley was more focused on producing tooling vs grinding/refining during that escalated time of US industrial manufacturing, thus leaving the plane casting with thicker cheeks and sole. The unseen benefit is that we end up with a heavier plane which is seemingly more desired in the modern era.  If I was hunting for Type 17s, that one would be on my short list - the rosewood and Japanning look great!
Thanks Cian...without doubt, this one is the best 5 1/2 I have ever had and I have not tuned it in any way, except for sharpening the blade..It looked like the factory edge was still on it. And the casting looks slightly thicker..

Get off my lawn !
Upset

(04-11-2023, 11:42 AM)Cian Wrote: To get back on topic, that pretty 5-1/2 which Timberwolf is offering appears to be a Type 17 of war-time production during 1942-1945.  They were heavier during that era, with the notion that Stanley was more focused on producing tooling vs grinding/refining during that escalated time of US industrial manufacturing, thus leaving the plane casting with thicker cheeks and sole. The unseen benefit is that we end up with a heavier plane which is seemingly more desired in the modern era.  If I was hunting for Type 17s, that one would be on my short list - the rosewood and Japanning look great!

Actually, a Type 19 - Vertical stamping of "Stanley" on the lateral lever is the giveaway, as well as the brass hardware.  A worthy plane.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(04-12-2023, 11:57 AM)Admiral Wrote: Actually, a Type 19 - Vertical stamping of "Stanley" on the lateral lever is the giveaway, as well as the brass hardware.  A worthy plane.

Bravo! Good catch. ?