Stanley precision saw set breaks saw tooth
(04-14-2023, 03:41 PM)adamcherubini Wrote: Love the title “saw set breaks tooth”. Like a news story from the onion. You broke the teeth. Pedder is right, the numbers are meaningless. I’ve never used 4 on any saw. I think I set the anvil to hit somewhere around the top third of the tooth. Try again. Be gentle. Slow steady pull.

And saws saw crooked for lots of reasons. And teeth can break sometimes due to too small a file used. Gullets get too sharp.

Glad you are trying and asking. It’s a key skill and not necessarily an easy one to learn.

Okay, but please consider that for doing the process, I followed the manual on the original box of the saw set, and this manual suggests that the number you see should match the TPI of the saw. So actually the problem started with whoever came up with the false manual instructions. 
Uhoh
You’re right. The instructions suck and it’s perfectly sensible to set the anvil to the tooth count and expect the tool to work.

Saw sharpening has always been a black art. There are tons of stories about pro saw sharpeners hiding what they do.

I have never understood why serious hand tool users would consider sending any hand tool out for sharpening. Saw sharpening is tricky, but not more tricky than sharpening a chisel. You are doing the right thing.

Any questions, please ask. I would trust the good folks here over any information published by saw set manufacturers. Stanley ceased to be “woodworking tool experts” a very long time ago.
(04-15-2023, 03:19 PM)Bencuri Wrote: I followed the manual on the original box of the saw set, and this manual suggests that the number you see should match the TPI of the saw. S

It is my impression for a long time, that writer of manuals are forbidden to test the tool and coomunicate with anybody who has.

Cheers
Pedder
(04-16-2023, 08:00 AM)adamcherubini Wrote: You’re right. The instructions suck and it’s perfectly sensible to set the anvil to the tooth count and expect the tool to work.

Saw sharpening has always been a black art. There are tons of stories about pro saw sharpeners hiding what they do.

I have never understood why serious hand tool users would consider sending any hand tool out for sharpening. Saw sharpening is tricky, but not more tricky than sharpening a chisel. You are doing the right thing.

Any questions, please ask. I would trust the good folks here over any information published by saw set manufacturers. Stanley ceased to be “woodworking tool experts” a very long time ago.

This is what I was thinking about saw sharpening as well,especially after seeing my teachers sharpening them. This Rex saw was the first one I ever sharepened (filed and set). I had been collecting the needed tools for years, but this was the first time I needed the long saw for a serious project, and I had to do the sharpening every way, and not postpone it. As I mentioned the saw was wandering and got stuck, it was not very sharp. For the first shot I succeeded to "repair" the problems. Now, I see it from a totally different point of view. I regularly restore or set certain old and new tools, I have to say for me now saw sharpening is on the easy side. I know, it depends on the situation, but in a general scenario, it is not as difficult as I expected by far. There is a much bigger threshold for errors in the process than I expected. I think this is why. Maybe the problems come from such things like this saw set and the manual, there there are sometimes opposing information circulating, and you cannot really decide which way to go.

Anyway, I am quite confident now that I will have another anvil machined. Luckily the 3 broken teeth are at tolerable places, and as it revealed, a half way set won't damage the brittle old saw. So now I will have some starting point to get the work done.