How to calculate gravel coverage
I am in the process of eliminating the grass in my back yard and go all desert. I’ll need gravel and before I get any bids, I’d like to get an idea on how to calculate coverage. Yes I know I could by a bag and do the math, but I wonder if there is an easier way. 

Gravel is sold by the ton here and not by volume so that complicates things a bit. 
It would be great if I could see that  (say) one ton of 1/2” gravel will cover 100 square feet at 3” deep for example.
VH07V  
(04-10-2023, 12:10 AM)EightFingers Wrote: I am in the process of eliminating the grass in my back yard and go all desert. I’ll need gravel and before I get any bids, I’d like to get an idea on how to calculate coverage. Yes I know I could by a bag and do the math, but I wonder if there is an easier way. 

Gravel is sold by the ton here and not by volume so that complicates things a bit. 
It would be great if I could see that  (say) one ton of 1/2” gravel will cover 100 square feet at 3” deep for example.

Google 'landscape calculators' or something like that.  Many out there that allow for different size material.  I expect the producer could also answer the question.
The challenge, as you've noted, is that the material is sold by weight. No experience here, but using your 100 sq ft at 3" depth, it should take about 25 cubic feet of product. Quick web search shows Lowes and Ace Hardware selling 1/2 cu ft of pea gravel with a weight of 50 lbs. If my math is correct--and their math is close--sounds like 2,500 lbs to cover 100 sq ft at 3" deep.

Disclaimer--i'm still on my first cup of coffee, which tends to cloud my math skills!!
earl
a search for ," cubic yards in a ton of gravel" seems to bring up about roughly .7 cubic yards per ton.
also found a ton will cover 100 sq ft at 2" deep.

your local supply yard/ gravel pit should be able to give you an estimate of area,too.
A shovel and a wheelbarrow is no fun way to install a lot gravel. I hope your having a landscaper bid who has the equipment to do the job .
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
(04-10-2023, 01:36 PM)Woodenfish Wrote: A shovel and a wheelbarrow is no fun way to install a lot gravel. I hope your having a landscaper bid who has the equipment to do the job .

I know! 

I plan on having someone do it, but I want to make sure I’m not getting cheated.
VH07V  
here ya go

www.watsongravel.com/aggregate-calculator
Ray