Best Brad point brand?
Just curious what the best brad point sets you've guys used?  I've been getting by with a set of generic ones and ready to step up and get some premium ones.  I was thinking of the set from Lee Valley at the bottom. 

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/too...em=07J0128
I have a small set of the LV lipped brad points bits and they can only be called excellent, very clean holes and a long life. But i also have some Fisch brad points bits and they are very good as well. You can't wrong wring with either...and I understand that the Fuller bits are very high quality, though I haven't personally tried them.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Lee Valley here as well, excellent bits.

Ed
http://www.woodworking.org/WC/GArchive00...lbits.html

Simon
Another vote for the LV set, love mine.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(04-11-2023, 08:22 AM)Juss1 Wrote: Just curious what the best brad point sets you've guys used?  I've been getting by with a set of generic ones and ready to step up and get some premium ones.  I was thinking of the set from Lee Valley at the bottom. 

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/too...em=07J0128

I've been using Fuller brad points for many years with very good results.

[Image: brad_pt_set_of_7_in_pouch.jpg]
(04-12-2023, 02:36 PM)Philip1231 Wrote: I've been using Fuller brad points for many years with very good results.

[Image: brad_pt_set_of_7_in_pouch.jpg]

As the package says, Fuller is made in the U.S. I think Rhode Island. I recall reading that Lee Valley buys twist drills and regrinds them into brad point bits. I don't know where the pre-ground Lee Valley bits come from. I would have no reservations about Lee Valley or Fuller.
I liked the Colt Twinland brad point bits that I got from Holbren some years ago.  This was a 7-piece set, so only a couple of sizes.  But these were my go-to when I wanted clean holes in wood.

I recently picked up sets of Fisch brad point bits from Woodcraft.
These cut fairly well and came in a larger set with some sizes I needed to match specific items.
These work pretty well, too.

I was disappointed with a combo set of brad and twist drill bits.

Matt
This thread is timely as I have been thinking of ordering a set of brad point bits for a while. I just placed an order for some Fuller bits. Thank you to those who shared information.
I bought the small Lee Valley set and then later I bought the large set.   Maybe just skip that a buy the big set?

They make clean holes.  My only beef is that they tend to get a plug of wood stuck in the tip.  Usually that's not a problem and you can just push through for the next hole, but sometimes I have to stop and remove the plug.  I don't know if this is a Lee Valley specific problem.

I have broken some of the smallest sizes (but I use hand drills a lot).  The Rockler set of small drill bits comes in handy for replacing them.

Mark