GFCI in a Two-wire Receptacle
(04-19-2023, 05:53 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: I believe it was adopted in 2018. I do inspections in a town where just about all the houses are early 1900's. Most of the homes have been rewired and re-plumbed. Lots of iron waste water pipe. I do see a lot of houses where just the 1st floor has been rewired or maybe only one or two receptacles in each room. Electricians will bootleg GFCIs in place of old ungrounded receptacles.

You could replace a two-wire outlet with a GFCI 3-wire receptacle for as long as I can remember.
And as Grey Mountain said, it needs to be labeled as “Ground-Faulted, Not Grounded”
But, if I remember correctly, you are prohibited from using a ground wire on that or any downstream receptacles (and any downstream receptacles must also be labeled as not grounded).

I have not noticed that change in either the 2017 or 2020 edition of the NEC.
(04-19-2023, 09:36 PM)srv52761 Wrote: You could replace a two-wire outlet with a GFCI 3-wire receptacle for as long as I can remember.
And as Grey Mountain said, it needs to be labeled as “Ground-Faulted, Not Grounded”
But, if I remember correctly, you are prohibited from using a ground wire on that or any downstream receptacles (and any downstream receptacles must also be labeled as not grounded).

I have not noticed that change in either the 2017 or 2020 edition of the NEC.

I thought it was 2018. It may have just been that it was adopted in the county where I do most of my work until 2018.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

A jumper from neutral terminal to the ground terminal is not allowed on any receptacle of the codes I am familiar with, conventional or GFCI.  Putting a jumper in would potentially create a very hazardous condition.  The proper labeling as GM said is correct and must be in place.

If anyone knows of an exception in the code that allows this please let me know.

Steve