For Sale: Saw sets; brace bits; Yankee 2100/2101 Bell Sys braces, Planes
 It’s been an early spring and flea markets are starting to show life; I’ve been selectively accumulating a few very worthy tools that are now for sale. First, I don’t have paypal or any other EFT gizmos, so payment in US Postal money order please - unless I know you from the forum, then personal checks are just dandy; all prices are plus shipping and I’ll combine to get you the best rate. First Private Message with an unequivocal “I’ll take it” gets priority in line and I’ll respond to every PM promptly. [b]Please[/b] put your name and shipping address in the PM so I can print shipping labels, this avoids a lot of back and forth. Many pics in the links to two Flickr albums; items are described below in their order of appearance in the album. Flaws, if any, are noted and pointed out, however all tools are in working condition after sharpening (as needed). The first link is for the saw sets, bits and braces:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/9433588@N08/albums/72177720307539551

So, first up are some sawsets. If you want to sharpen saws, you’ve noticed that all newly manufactured sets are simply garbage, plungers and anvils are not properly hardened, they don’t adjust well, just junk. Here’s a few very worthy sets, all vintage, priced very reasonably and all in proper working condition. First is a EC Stearns set, likely a #395 improved version, and they copied many aspects of the Morrill #1B in their design; This is complete, adjusts smoothly, and can set finer teeth with its anvil design. I have one for my personal use, this one can be yours for $25 plus shipping.  SOLD

Next is also one in my saw kit, venerable Stanley #42; this one works well, all original and all parts are there, I prefer this one over my #42X for saws under 10pt as it gives a firm set without much pressure; yours for $35 plus shipping.

Next up is a full set of Irwin pattern brace bits I put together from a box of bits I bought as a lot; each was chosen because it had good flute life and the lead screws were not buggered up, and I’ll tell ya I threw out almost one third of the bits in the box as they were too used up. Some of these are Irwin, some vintage Craftsman (made by Irwin for Sears) but all are in good condition, some may need sharpening but that goes with the territory when using brace bits, get a bit file from TFWW or LV. No roll but make one, the set of 13 (in 16ths, #4 (¼”) through #16 (1”) can be yours for $60 plus shipping, that’s less than $4 a bit; price them new and you’ll see the value here.  SOLD

Next pic is an 9” Starrett scale, #603 Tempered, 8ths and 16ths on one side, 32nds and 64ths on the other; generally good condition, not perfect has some corrosion on part of the scale (see closeup pic) but a quality measuring tool very useful for layout. Much more convenient to use than the normal 6” rules you normally see, for some reason they don’t seem to sell the 9” ones anymore, only 6 and 12, but, whatever, can’t beat Starrett precision. Great rule, yours for $20 plus shipping.  SOLD

Last but certainly not least, are three Yankee 2100-2101 braces, two 10” and one 8” and two of them are Bell System models. Each of these braces is all original, in great shape given their age with no pitting, etc, and I’ve given them the once over and each works exactly like it should. It’s been well over a year since I had any of these, and when it rains it pours. For those not familiar, this brace design, with ball bearing head and stout construction, is generally acknowledged as the best brace ever made, I mean, AT&T back in the day didn’t buy garbage for its lineman’s kit, but I digress. The chuck can hold standard brace bits, and also round bits (but I still feel that round bits in braces are a sacrilege, but that’s just me). Anyway, in the first pic are the two Bell System 2101A braces, the 8” and the 10”. The 10” one was made by North Bros and has the oil port (like the 2100 below) which I really like. As the 8” ones, while not “rare” are more difficult to find, and give you a lot more control when drilling with the smaller bits that require less torque, is priced at $55 plus shipping 8" BRACE IS SOLD. The 10” Bell System can be yours for $40 plus shipping.  10" BRACE IS OLD

The next pic is of the North Bros 2100 brace; this one was nickel plated and 90% of that plating remains, so it is a particularly nice example, so this one can be yours for $45. I’ve priced all of these to sell, so if you’ve got a puptent in your apron for the best brace out there, pull the trigger as I don’t think these will last very long.  SOLD

Now for some planes, which can be seen in this flickr album:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/9433588@N0...0307539586

First up is a vintage Stanley #60 ½ low angle block plane. 98% japanning on the body, some loss on the heel of the lever cap (sweaty hands will do this) plenty of iron left (will need sharpening), no rust pitting, sole clean and crisp, all original and correct, works and adjusts like it should. A really nice and crispy example of the 60 ½ which will give you a lifetime of use. Yours for $50 plus shipping.  SOLD

Next is a vintage Stanley #9 ½ standard angle block plane, I got this and the low angle from an estate sale as a pair and the guy took care of his tools, again, 98% japanning on the body and loss of some on the heel; plenty of iron, works and adjusts like it should, a nice crispy block plane that can be yours for $38 plus shipping.  SOLD

Last, but not least, is an English #4 bench plane in the box. I date this production from the ‘70’s, this thing sat in a box for decades, some instructions inside as well. Someone tried to sharpen it as I was expecting a factory grind but they didn’t know what they were doing. Some flaking of the lacquer on the knob, but overall its about as original as you can get, if the iron wasn’t messed with I’d call it new old stock. Anyway, the English production maintained its quality long after US production went down the chitter, and this will make someone a great user plane. All original, can be yours for $50 plus shipping.  SOLD

Again, note the terms in the first paragraph above, and please include your full name and address in your Personal Messages.

Thanks for looking.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Starrett Scale and Yankee 2100 are both sold.
Boxed English #4 is sold.
Sold items updated. What's left is the Stanley 42 saw set, the 8" throw 2101 Yankee brace and the 9 1/2 block plane.
8" throw Bell System 2101A now $45 plus shipping.
#9 1/2 Block is sold.

#42 saw set now $25 plus shipping, and the 8" Bell System Yankee brace is still available at $45 plus shipping.
Everything is sold except for the Stanley 42 saw set, now $25 plus shipping.