Desk Design ?
Scoony, I'm not sure I understand the question, but it it's how to prevent the top from sagging without an apron, here's an idea. I built a machine table for my shop several years ago. The top is two thicknesses of 3/4" plywood, an I worried about it sagging under the weight of the machines. I inlaid two lengths of angle iron in the underside of the top so they were flush with the (bottom) surface and invisible when viewed from the top. They did the job. The table handles my Tormek, a large, heavy 10" Souix bench grinder without any sag at all. I'm pretty sure that, without the angle iron the top would look like ininverted rainbow. With this approach you could easily suspend drawer boxes from the top with brackets, or just screw them directly to the underside of the top.
(04-26-2023, 04:04 PM)Hank Knight Wrote: Scoony, I'm not sure I understand the question, but it it's how to prevent the top from sagging without an apron, here's an idea. I built a machine table for my shop several years ago. The top is two thicknesses of 3/4" plywood, an I worried about it sagging under the weight of the machines. I inlaid two lengths of angle iron in the underside of the top so they were flush with the (bottom) surface and invisible when viewed from the top. They did the job. The table handles my Tormek, a large, heavy 10" Souix bench grinder without any sag at all. I'm pretty sure that, without the angle iron the top would look like ininverted rainbow. With this approach you could easily suspend drawer boxes from the top with brackets, or just screw them directly to the underside of the top.

I think if I can add a support much like taking an apron and rotating it so it lays flat instead of vertical, it would provide the support. Plus it would provide support for the drawer support system.  I have a basic sketch drawn up, and I don’t think it is going to be as difficult as I initially thought.  I can post a build-along if there is interest.
(04-23-2023, 02:12 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: Can't help with the design, but unless the customer has the legs already, be prepared for them to be terrible and not ready for stain if they came from JJ Bases.  I ordered from them and had to go through ETSY to get my money back. 

These came from the Carolina Leg company.
Building a carcase for the drawers that attaches to the desk top will provide more rigidity for the top. Sort of the same concept as a torsion box. Especially if you have a center drawer.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(04-27-2023, 09:48 AM)Scoony Wrote: I think if I can add a support much like taking an apron and rotating it so it lays flat instead of vertical, it would provide the support. Plus it would provide support for the drawer support system.  I have a basic sketch drawn up, and I don’t think it is going to be as difficult as I initially thought.  I can post a build-along if there is interest.

There is always interest in build-alongs. Please do post them.
Yes
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
The writing desk I built a while ago. Top is 3/4" cherry. Front apron sections are mortised into legs, providing support to top. I assume your design will eliminate this center drawer and sub-apron components. There is no flex in this desk and I suspect you won't have any in your design. Run the numbers through the Sagulator to verify.

[Image: IMG-3044.jpg]" />
(04-29-2023, 08:04 AM)Philip1231 Wrote: The writing desk I built a while ago. Top is 3/4" cherry. Front apron sections are mortised into legs, providing support to top. I assume your design will eliminate this center drawer and sub-apron components. There is no flex in this desk and I suspect you won't have any in your design. Run the numbers through the Sagulator to verify.

[Image: IMG-3044.jpg]" />

Did you ever post pictures of the finished project, Phillip?  Regardless, I would love to see it.  Sure looks like beautiful wood, and nice clean workmanship.  

John
(04-29-2023, 06:43 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Did you ever post pictures of the finished project, Phillip?  Regardless, I would love to see it.  Sure looks like beautiful wood, and nice clean workmanship.  

John

Thank-you sir! Here are a few more pics: don't recall if I had posted it in the past:
[Image: IMG-3096-1.jpg]" />
[Image: IMG-3090.jpg]" />
[Image: IMG-3088.jpg]" />
[Image: IMG-3087.jpg]" />
Philip, Beautiful desk. Thanks, that first pic is one that is worth a thousands words and is giving me ideas on how I will handle the front and the drawers. This will not have a middle draw, but drawers on each side. Kind of reverse what you did. I can build this similar, and simply rearrange the drawer layout.

Thanks

Also love the chair. I built a set of those for my kitchen with curly sassafras seats.
(05-01-2023, 07:48 PM)Scoony Wrote: Philip, Beautiful desk. Thanks, that first pic is one that is worth a thousands words and is giving me ideas on how I will handle the front and the drawers. This will not have a middle draw, but drawers on each side. Kind of reverse what you did. I can build this similar, and simply rearrange the drawer layout.

Thanks

Also love the chair. I built a set of those for my kitchen with curly sassafras seats.

Thanks! The design is based on an article by Christian Becksvoort in FWW: here is link:

FWW: Writing Desk: Becksvoort