Safety glasses bifocals vs progressive lenses?
I have a pair of glasses with the focal length set up for computer use and wood lathe turning. They work fine for general shop use. I add different face shields as appropriate for safety.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(04-25-2023, 04:14 PM)Roly Wrote: The regular place you go for glasses will have them or can order them.   Ask them.

The last three places that I gave bought glasses don’t seem interested in prescription safety glasses, they only have a couple pair anywhere in the store and when I mentioned ordering they just said I could order from somewhere on line.
Safety goggles or a facemask are other alternatives. You don't always need to wear the safety glasses. I wear progressives. I find they are more versatile than bifocals.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I use progressive lenses for my daily glasses. And prescription bi-focal safety glasses for the shop (purchased through Lenscrafters).

The issue I found with the progressives is you can't focus when turning your head sideways. Looking under the bench, etc becomes difficult.

Before my eyes devolved to the need for prescriptions, I used the various over the counter safety bifocals. There are so many available, one of my favorites having the bifocals on top for use on ladders. Got these after catching myself leaning backwards to be able to use the lower bifocals.
Tried ordering through RX-safety.com

Their website leaves quite a bit to be desired.

I ordered a set from them and they sent frame only so I could measure segment height, so far so good, got the frames and measurements done. Ready to order. Get on site and log in, all details of my prescription are listed in order details.
Call and am told the only way to order lenses is to get back on their website and re enter every detail of the prescription that is still stored on their website.

So if you want easy RX-safety is not the sight your looking for.

I’m going to go check a couple more local places.

Apparently the right and left hand don’t talk much at RX-safety. I just got another email from customer service offering to order the prescription I had entered, just need a credit card authorization sent back.
if you could get by with just "readers", i've got these and really like 'em:

Amazon.com: Pyramex Safety Emerge Plus Readers Safety Glasses, 1.5, Clear Full Reader Lens (SG9810R15) : Everything Else
I've had prescription bifocals and trifocals with safety lens and frames for near 25 yrs. Never progressive lens. Safety lens come in glass, Lexan and I think plastic. I've had one pair of glasses lens, quite heavy. Lexan since. Once you get used to them you never notice when you change focal distances. Still use safety glasses 15 years after retiring. Stuff happens even in a wood shop. If you want impact resistance you'll likely need to specify that. Make sure you eye ware is marked Z87 or Z87+. This indicates impact resistance.
There is no such thing as too much horsepower, free lunch or spare change ~ anonymous

87% of people say their mental health is good to excellent. The rest are sane enough to know they are lying. ~ anonymous
Quote:

I ordered a set from them and they sent frame only so I could measure segment height, so far so good, got the frames and measurements done. Ready to order. Get on site and log in, all details of my prescription are listed in order details.
Call and am told the only way to order lenses is to get back on their website and re enter every detail of the prescription that is still stored on their website.

Apparently the right and left hand don’t talk much at RX-safety. I just got another email from customer service offering to order the prescription I had entered, just need a credit card authorization sent back."
___________________<<<<

That was what I found with RX Safety. I liked the glasses, hate the process. Also found that it was next to impossible to get just a replacement shield through them and it was going to be very difficult to get new replacement lenses through them unless I wanted to just buy a whole new set up.

Those troubles were what drove me back to local shops with brick and mortar presence.
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")
(05-08-2023, 08:37 AM)R Clark Wrote: Quote:

Apparently the right and left hand don’t talk much at RX-safety. I just got another email from customer service offering to order the prescription I had entered, just need a credit card authorization sent back."
___________________<<<<

That was what I found with RX Safety.  I liked the glasses, hate the process.  Also found that it was next to impossible to get just a replacement shield through them and it was going to be very difficult to get new replacement lenses through them unless I wanted to just buy a whole new set up.

Those troubles were what drove me back to local shops with brick and mortar presence.

Go to you Ophthalmologist or Optometrist to get them. Insurance may pay all or frames only. Let them do the measuring and if it doesn't come out right I believe they will bear the cost of a redo. Granted not cheap but is it worth the online hassle?

I needed them for work so employer paid all costs, I've only paid for one pair since retiring.
There is no such thing as too much horsepower, free lunch or spare change ~ anonymous

87% of people say their mental health is good to excellent. The rest are sane enough to know they are lying. ~ anonymous
I wear safety prescription bifocals in the shop, polarized prescription bifocal sunglasses driving and boating and I always have a pair of my all day glasses hanging around my neck. I buy all of them from Zenni online and pay about $100 or just under for each of them. I love the bigger lenses in the sunglasses and safety glasses more than my daily glasses. I still have a fancy $300 pair that only get used going out, church etc. I'm hard on glasses.
Zenni Prescription safety glasses
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay