painting HITCHCOCK furniture
I suspect the black bench is finished in lacquer ????
It has the typical HITCHCOCK designs.
Fine-grit sandpaper before black spray painting [seat is a light brownish-red]  ???
Better ideas for paint preparation???
Why not finish it in brushed lacquer? Probably a more attrcative, more durable finish than spray paint.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(04-27-2023, 06:15 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: Why not finish it in brushed lacquer? Probably a more attrcative, more durable finish than spray paint.

This will be sitting on a covered front porch....with the wind in the wrong direction, it will be exposed.
I thought brushed lacquer was clear??? Plan is to have it totally black.
(04-29-2023, 10:17 AM)varkpilot Wrote: This will be sitting on a covered front porch....with the wind in the wrong direction, it will be exposed.
I thought brushed lacquer was clear??? Plan is to have it totally black.

What I meant was "bushing on lacquer paint" So "Brushed Lacquer" is a packaging name used to avoid avoid Low VOC requirements. Sprayed lacquer doesn't meet Low VOC lacquer reqs. Calling it Brushing lacquer means it intended to be brushed, not sprayed.

Lacquer is clear. But you can have tints added to it to color it. Just like adding tints to latex wall paint at the paint counter. Not sure if the bix box stores will tint lacquer but a paint store will.

Another thing to consider is enamel. HD and Lowes sells Rust-Oleum colored enamel but the color choices are sparse. I believe any paint counter will tint enamel.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

I used 220 sandpaper, vacuumed & dusted, an then applied this product:

WATER BORN BONDING PRIMER  INSIX  STIX

Then spray painted two coats.

This is second time I've used this bonding primer. Painted a TV armoire that was moved to a screen porch.  It has aged well.