Experience With "Smart" Windows
Anyone have experience with so-called “Smart Windows” or precisely Smart Adhesive Films. These are the products that can flip from clear to opaque with the flip of a switch.

I have a perfect application for this is my living room. Here is the one vendor I found on-line

https://www.smarttint.com/

Thoughts/comments appreciated.
Star 
Used the windows on of couple of projects years ago.   Didn't realize someone had come out with a film that does the same thing.  

Upon looking at the link , two things stand out to me:

1. it's not so much a film as it is a thin panel.

2. It's not very clear in its "see through" state - which means in person it's probably less clear.

The widows were BIG $$$, and I suspect these panels aren't cheap either , so hold on to your hat.
(04-27-2023, 12:25 AM)Don_M Wrote: Anyone have experience with so-called “Smart Windows” or precisely Smart Adhesive Films. These are the products that can flip from clear to opaque with the flip of a switch.

I have a perfect application for this is my living room. Here is the one vendor I found on-line

https://www.smarttint.com/

Thoughts/comments appreciated.

We use it on some windows on one of our development labs.  Opaque most of the time, but flip to clear when a VIP tour is coming through.  Everybody seems to like it.

Not sure what product was used, but the concept is sound.
You are frequently puzzled by things you tell us you fully understand. - Bob10 to EH 9/22/16

Too much has been made out of my mostly idle comments  - Cletus 12/9/15

You sound like one of those survivalist, hoarder, tin foil hat, militia, clinger, wackjobs.  - Fear Monger 1/30/13
I have used smarttint on two front door builds. One of them wired to a Wemo smart switch and one of them wired to the smarttint remote control system. The installation is pretty straight forward, you just have to be very careful the glass is completely clean, any specs of dust will be noticeable.

As Cabinet Monkey stated, the film is not crystal clear when activated. Looking at it straight on, the film is pretty clear, the steeper the viewing angle, the cloudier it looks.

Did you have specific questions about it?