Dado blade comparison advice ?
(05-04-2023, 08:55 AM)rwe2156 Wrote: If it's a one-off thing and you don't anticipate using one much, sure, go cheap.

But if you have more use (and you will if you do much ww'ing) then it pays to go with  a high quality set.  You will find out what I mean if you do dados in solid lumber.

I have both a Dado King and Dadonator.  I can't tell the difference but I know they are far better than the Freud set I had.

Interesting comment on solid lumber, I mostly use solid lumber and understand high quality. I guess what your saying is a Dado King will stay sharp longer and cut better because it stays sharp, or is it something else ?
But on the other hand I have Forest rip blade & WW2 also have a Freud glue line blade (less than1/2 the cost of Forest) & there is almost no noticeable difference in cut quality when new. I suspect the Freud will not hold up as long as the Forest but I've run a fair amount of solid lumber and Freud is still cutting well. So I'm hoping the cheap Oshuln set I bought cuts well when new if not I'll return it, if it cuts as clean as Freud I'll be more than happy. I'll post back up after cutting some dados with Oshuln.
And thanks to everyone for your replies !
(05-05-2023, 09:53 AM)2link2 Wrote: Interesting comment on solid lumber, I mostly use solid lumber and understand high quality. I guess what your saying is a Dado King will stay sharp longer and cut better because it stays sharp, or is it something else ?
But on the other hand I have Forest rip blade & WW2 also have a Freud glue line blade (less than1/2 the cost of Forest) & there is almost no noticeable difference in cut quality when new. I suspect the Freud will not hold up as long as the Forest but I've run a fair amount of solid lumber and Freud is still cutting well. So I'm hoping the cheap Oshuln set I bought cuts well when new if not I'll return it, if it cuts as clean as Freud I'll be more than happy. I'll post back up after cutting some dados with Oshuln.
And thanks to everyone for your replies !

I have the Forest, and it cuts a fine dado... but I honestly don't see that it cuts any better than the Freud set I used for years.  I bought the Forest many years back because I figured I could send it to them for sharpening and they'd do a better job than anybody else.  Never have done that, though.
Well, got the Oshuln set (89 bucks) &I am returning because the spacers that allow the stack to cut a hair over 13/16 don't fit on the arbor ! The blades and all chippers fit perfect but I need the full width. A few Amazon reviews mentioned that spacers don't fit a 5/8" arbor I really didn't think that was possible so I ordered it.
The other thing on the Oshuln is the chippers are a full blade with 6 carbide cutters. So the full stack is very heavy & weighs over 10lbs. I was thinking that's a lot weight to spin up on a 2hp TS. But it's well balanced and saw ran fine with full stack. The 2 blades & chippers seem to be good quality and very sharp too bad about the spacers. So on order is the Freud SD308. Worst part is tomorrow I need to cut the dados so I'll be using the router. Get what you pay for ? I just can't see how they can put out a dado stack where the spacers won't fit a 5/8 arbor.
(05-08-2023, 07:13 PM)2link2 Wrote: Well, got the Oshuln set (89 bucks) &I am returning because the spacers that allow the stack to cut a hair over 13/16 don't fit on the arbor ! The blades and all chippers fit perfect but I need the full width. A few Amazon reviews mentioned that spacers don't fit a 5/8" arbor I really didn't think that was possible so I ordered it.
The other thing on the Oshuln is the chippers are a full blade with 6 carbide cutters. So the full stack is very heavy & weighs over 10lbs. I was thinking that's a lot weight to spin up on a 2hp TS. But it's well balanced and saw ran fine with full stack. The 2 blades & chippers seem to be good quality and very sharp too bad about the spacers. So on order is the Freud SD308. Worst part is tomorrow I need to cut the dados so I'll be using the router. Get what you pay for ? I just can't see how they can put out a dado stack where the spacers won't fit a 5/8 arbor.

Yeah, you're gonna get what you pay for & that's way to heavy!! FWIW my Dado King is a lot lighter than the Dadonator. The reason is the chippers are winged, not solid plates.

The new Dadonators have been lightened up to be compatible with SawStops. I think the way to go is get a SawStop compatible set.

The DeWalt dado set is one that has the winged chippers. https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW7670-8-I...148&sr=8-4
Rim speed on an 8 inch Dato is faster so it will out preform a 6 inch Dato at the saws fixed speed. Also if you ever plan on or are thinking of going to a saw stop saw in the future a 6 inch will not work. Don't have a brake for a 6 inch Dato. 

Tom
(02-11-2023, 07:22 AM)Patsfan Wrote: Gents, lets keep this about Bridge City, or even relative merits of country of manufacture, but keep the personal stuff out.

Thanks

Mike

(05-12-2023, 11:38 AM)tablesawtom Wrote: Rim speed on an 8 inch Dato is faster so it will out preform a 6 inch Dato at the saws fixed speed. Also if you ever plan on or are thinking of going to a saw stop saw in the future a 6 inch will not work. Don't have a brake for a 6 inch Dato. 

Tom

Now that's good to know, I never thought about blade speed I bought an 8" set just because it's what I used to have but never cut more than 1/2" deep. So now I'm glad to have a valid reason for buying the 8" . & a sawstop may be in my future.