Table saw slider?
Tom,

I have probably broken down 30 sheets of ply in the last 12 months, so I that’s not where I see value in a slider although it would be nice to be able to square up 24 to 36 inch panels on the table saw.

What looks promising to me on a slider is the ability to reliably miter longer pieces. I have a Bosch glide, but it’s not as accurate as a table saw.

With purpose built sliders, the slide is right next to the blade and the miter pivot is fairly close as well. That geometry lends itself to miters much better than slapping a slider 24 inches to the side of a standard table saw blade.

As for the decision as to the value of any tool, my decision algorithm is I’m sure different from yours or anyone else’s.

I’m a bit of a tool nut. I enjoy working in my shop and making things but it doesn’t make my living. So my decision has more to do with the enjoyment of using something than it does cost vs usefulness.

Duke
Duke,

I do not brake down very many sheets of plywood anymore. I did maybe 5 sheets last year.  Yes it is very nice to be able to sliding table to do miter cuts.  As far as having the pivot point close to the blade is kind of a moot point on my table. On my Excalibur the fence can be mover closer to or farther from the blade. A triangle is a triangle no matter where  the pivot point is located. If you look at my table you will see that the pivot point is about a a foot away from the blade but the angle is adjusted about 4 foot from the blade.  The only advantage that I can see of having a slider is working with larger stock or quite long work.

( So my decision has more to do with the enjoyment of using something than the it does cost over usefulness)  You are 100 % correct,  I couldn't agree with you more. And I am glad that you have the room and the money to buy you what you want.  But most who are hobbyist or just getting started do not have the room or the money or the experience to make that kind of a decision. A person just starting out or has been at it a short time is hungry for any information he can get his hands on and how all of you reply effects on the information that person receives. 

So I am asking has your reply's helped a younger homiest become a better wood worker?

Actually I think I will start a post on the subject.

Anyway,I have enjoyed the conversation and I look forward to reading what you have to say on my new post.

Tom
(05-12-2023, 07:55 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Actually, Tom, Hammer is marketed to well-heeled hobbiests.  Felder is their commercial/industrial line.  I don't have one, but if I were to buy a new saw it would either be a SS or a slider because both are inherently safer than a cabinet saw.  You can't lose a finger if there is technology to stop that from happening, as with the SS, or you don't put your hands near the blade, as with a slider.  

Anyway, the smallest Hammer is about $6k, the middle one $6.7 and the large on about $9.  If you go over on SMC you'll see that a fair number of folks there have sliders.  I guess it's the more well-heeled crowd.  Me?  I have a Unisaw born the same year I was, which I'm sure is going to outlive me by at least 2X.  I paid $0 for it.  How's that for a bargain?  I'm plenty happy with it.   

The main point was sliders are not something most people could replicate.  You would only have to use one for a few minutes, or maybe just watch a couple of videos, to see that.  But if you'd like to try, by all means, go to it.  

John

John,

And I am glad to actually know you first name

I couldn't agree with you more on anything you wrote in the first paragraph, except for the part of a well heeled hobbyist.  I really do not think that a lot of woodworking hobbies are wheel healed. Just the other day I mentioned a Forrest WW11 to someone when asked about a good blade. The reply was I would love to have one but I cant afford a blade like that. I hear it more often than not. I said it myself concerning a Saw Stop. and I wouldn't have one today if the government hadn't given the $ 1200 checks during covid shut downs. I sold my General 350 and it helped make up the difference. 

I had a friend almost loose his thumb and another one a couple of fingers on a table saw. I have been lucky with a couple of minor injuries with a table saw. I lost the tip of my index finger of my right hand on a jointer. There is an old saying in the Tool and Die making trade which is cover up and protect that what you can't replace. 

Even with a slider you could possible have trouble when ripping. So unless you do a lot of cross cutting of large panels I would go with a SS.

Yes, I know that a lot of members over on the SMC forum have Hammers. I never thought much about them. I thought they were jointer over planner combo machines. And since I am not a combo machine person I didn't bother to find out much about them. I do know that there are some over there that kind of look down their noses if a person doesn't have one. But I also know that some of that happens here on this forum.

Even with a slider you could run into trouble when ripping. So unless you do a lot of cross cutting of large panels I would go SS. My disclaimer is I am 77 and I can not afford not to have one.

I have replied that anyone can build something  they want to and my wife has replied, no they can't. I like to think in terms like every one can but you reply of not every on can replicate is true and I stand corrected. 

And to your last comment, I am a journeyman tool and Die maker of over 50 years. I am a job shop tool maker not a factory tool maker. I have more experience in progressive dies although I have build 4 special machines with PLC's , A PLC is a program logic controller.  CNC without excess to the computer. The machine that the program can not be changed by an operator. I still work 15 hours on a tool room of a large CNC production shop. My vanity is showing but, try is not in my vocabulary, do is. Frank Klausz, whom I have great respect for, said you never know what you can do until you try 

I like building woodworking benches, I have a Moravian bench 85 % done and just started cutting up for a Michelsen.  And am considering a Sloyd. I am also thinking about taking up your change though, and building a slider that the average woodworker can build.

Tom