Table saw slider?
With the low cost of linear bearings these days, why don’t we see a bunch of DIY sliding table saws?

I’m thinking it would be pretty easy to adapt an incra style miter gauge as the head and some low profile rectangle linear bearings to cobble together a fairly low cost slider.

Anyone done this?

Duke
(05-01-2023, 05:47 PM)JDuke Wrote: With the low cost of linear bearings these days, why don’t we see a bunch of DIY sliding table saws?

I’m thinking it would be pretty easy to adapt an incra style miter gauge as the head and some low profile rectangle linear bearings to cobble together a fairly low cost slider.

Anyone done this?

Duke

Of course it can be done, you don't even need linear bearings, but you're still using a tablesaw, unless you are proposing to build the entire machine.  Not something I'd give much serious thought to.  

Sleds do most things a slider does except straightline long pieces.  

John
My sliding table is a life saver for wide pieces.

I used a large sled before and it was awkward to store and a pain to set up
I’ve ordered linear bearings, and I’m going to use a extra incra miter gauge as the fence on the sled.

I have an incra miter express sled that I don’t think I’ve used more than a handful of times. I’m looking at integrating the mechanism from it for locking the miter gauge in place and still having it be easy to remove for getting it out of the way.

As for a sled, I’ve never found much utility in a sled. Mostly because it has to be fairly heavy to be stable enough that be of use, and that means it’s also a beast to move around when not in use.
I've got a vintage Unisaw with sliding table (uses a swing arm and roller on a piece of pipe) that's buried in the corner as my "next"
Rolleyes rehab project.
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
I've seen a few DIY sliding table attachments on YouTube lately.  Not what you would necessarily call a full sliding table saw though.
What makes you say not a full slider?

I know some of the euro saws have the slide right by the blade, and most American saws either replace the left wing or have it mounted left of the wing (quite a distance to the blade)

I’m planning on just adding it outward of the left wing as I don’t want to modify my fence rails. And can just pull it off if I don’t like it, or if it’s always in the way.

I have an aluminum extrusion that’s long enough to get within a few inches of the blade when mounted as a fence on the incra miter gauge that I’m incorporating into my build. So I think I’ll get most of the functionality of a slide with the added benefit of being able to just pull the miter gauge when not needed.
(05-03-2023, 09:33 AM)JDuke Wrote: What makes you say not a full slider?

I know some of the euro saws have the slide right by the blade, and most American saws either replace the left wing or have it mounted left of the wing (quite a distance to the blade)

I’m planning on just adding it outward of the left wing as I don’t want to modify my fence rails. And can just pull it off if I don’t like it, or if it’s always in the way.

I have an aluminum extrusion that’s long enough to get within a few inches of the blade when mounted as a fence on the incra miter gauge that I’m incorporating into my build. So I think I’ll get most of the functionality of a slide with the added benefit of being able to just pull the miter gauge when not needed.

Here's an article in FWW you may want to read:  Sliding Table add on.  What you are proposing to make may work just fine for your needs, but don't confuse it with a genuine sliding table saw, such as:  

[Image: AJFCJaW4S9ASUR7a9hlzlHyngDtPcwMKvfXjl6GV...authuser=1]

True sliders generally will have a longer range of travel than anything added to a cabinet saw.  And the edge of the carriage is right next to the blade, acting as a ZCI.  More importantly, it allows you to align a board with the edge of carriage, clamp it down, and then cut a glue ready edge.  

John
(05-01-2023, 05:47 PM)JDuke Wrote: With the low cost of linear bearings these days, why don’t we see a bunch of DIY sliding table saws?

Anyone done this?

Duke

I built my last kitchen cabinets before I owned a table saw. I did have a planer. I made a panel saw out of a 4x8 sheet of melamine.  I ran two 2" lengths of metal conduit the length of the table. Built a sled for a circular saw that slid down the conduit.  Cut all my panels, rails and stiles and made the face framed with it. Certainly not as convenient as a table saw but it worked.

I think it's easier and cheaper to build a functional table saw than it would be to build a sliding table saw.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

Snipe,

I’ve considered building a panel saw in the past, but since I have a dewalt tracksaw I have long since abandoned thinking a panel saw would be useful in my home shop.

What I’m looking to do is put a sliding table to the left side of my sawstop cabinet saw like John pictured above.

I’m thinking it would be useful for squaring panels as well as mitering longer pieces.

Duke