Rainwater Filter System
Does anyone have any experience and/or recommendations on pump and filtering systems for rainwater collection to make it potable?

I am constructing a remote building which will have a toilet, vanity, kitchen sink and a hosebib and plan to do rainwater collection from the metal roof. I already have the tank and gutter in place, with plans for the leaf filter and those items. I've researched pumps, UV filters and reverse osmosis ones also but am looking for real world recommendations from experience on products and best practices.

Since the building will not be heated in winter months (upstate NY), I will plan to have threaded unions so sensitive items may be removed and stored, then charge the system with RV antifreeze for the winter.

Any experienced information would be greatly appreciated.
Rainwater is potable. Just run it through a screen to filter any debris from the roof.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(05-11-2023, 08:21 AM)jamesglenn Wrote: Does anyone have any experience and/or recommendations on pump and filtering systems for rainwater collection to make it potable?

I am constructing a remote building which will have a toilet, vanity, kitchen sink and a hosebib and plan to do rainwater collection from the metal roof. I already have the tank and gutter in place, with plans for the leaf filter and those items. I've researched pumps, UV filters and reverse osmosis ones also but am looking for real world recommendations from experience on products and best practices.

Since the building will not be heated in winter months (upstate NY), I will plan to have threaded unions so sensitive items may be removed and stored, then charge the system with RV antifreeze for the winter.

Any experienced information would be greatly appreciated.

I grew up on a farm where the only source of potable water was a huge cistern collecting rainwater from the house roof.  The only "treatment" system was a carbon briquette/gravel filter bed with a diverter in the downspout to allow flushing of the initial rainwater (bird poop, pollen, whatever) before collection.  Downsides were the need to switch flow during the rain and occasional replacement of the carbon filter.  Anyway, it worked well except in very dry times or subzero temperatures, and all of us grew old without any ill effects.

BTW, some years ago I searched high and low to find a diverter for my current downspouts and never found such an animal.  So to collect soft (not potable) water in barrels I need to disassemble the lower section of the downspout and install an elbow leading to the barrels - all while it is raining which is a definite PITA.
(05-11-2023, 08:47 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: Rainwater is potable. Just run it through a screen to filter any debris from the roof.

Do not do only that! At least add a UV light. Best would be a 25mu then a 5mu filter then UV light. 
Be sure to get one rated at the proper flow rate for your usage.

I’ve had eight year’s experience doing catchment and it’s not as simple as it sounds to make it potable.
VH07V  
Cistern and a sediment filter and chlorinator or iodizer
(05-12-2023, 12:12 AM)EightFingers Wrote: Do not do only that! At least add a UV light. Best would be a 25mu then a 5mu filter then UV light. 
Be sure to get one rated at the proper flow rate for your usage.

I’ve had eight year’s experience doing catchment and it’s not as simple as it sounds to make it potable.

Thanks for the replies.

EightFingers: Any manufacturer's you recommend? I've see numerous versions, but would like something decent and trustworthy? 
I was looking at the Viqua or the MInipure for UV filters paired with a Rainflo pump system.
https://www.rainharvest.com/rainmaster-a...system.asp

Do you think there is any need for a reverse osmosis filter at the sink?
(05-11-2023, 09:17 PM)GaryMc Wrote: I grew up on a farm where the only source of potable water was a huge cistern collecting rainwater from the house roof.  The only "treatment" system was a carbon briquette/gravel filter bed with a diverter in the downspout to allow flushing of the initial rainwater (bird poop, pollen, whatever) before collection.  Downsides were the need to switch flow during the rain and occasional replacement of the carbon filter.  Anyway, it worked well except in very dry times or subzero temperatures, and all of us grew old without any ill effects.

BTW, some years ago I searched high and low to find a diverter for my current downspouts and never found such an animal.  So to collect soft (not potable) water in barrels I need to disassemble the lower section of the downspout and install an elbow leading to the barrels - all while it is raining which is a definite PITA.

Why do you need to switch the diverter when it is raining?  I just have downspouts going straight into barrels.  Only take them out before freezing weather.

I haven't done anything to try to filter it...I just use it for spraying trees.

Was doing gravity feed, or used a little gas pump.  Just put in a 2HP sprinkler pump.  That thing puts out.some water!
(05-12-2023, 08:14 PM)JosephP Wrote: Why do you need to switch the diverter when it is raining?  I just have downspouts going straight into barrels.  Only take them out before freezing weather.

I haven't done anything to try to filter it...I just use it for spraying trees.

Was doing gravity feed, or used a little gas pump.  Just put in a 2HP sprinkler pump.  That thing puts out.some water!

I am trying to use mine for potable water and not just watering or grey water, so the diverter allows any pollen, bird droppings, dust, etc. to be discharged before getting into the tank.
I'm not taking issue with any of the tech solutions but as a boy I lived in SW Ohio back in the early 60s, many houses had just cisterns. The roof top rain water ran into the cistern and there would be a filter wall between the collection side and the use side....nothing else. For some time my dad drove a water truck delivering water to some of these houses when there wasn't enough rain to fill the cisterns. So there's some history to just using rain water that's been filtered. My first house had just that kind of set up.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
No way I would try to make a rainwater supply potable. Too many variations in contaminant sources and quantity. A simple particulate filter, no waste water and no power consumption to get tap water and haul jugs of drinking water.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories.