Pulling a Bearing [Delta/Rockwell 37-290 Jointer Rebuild]
Motor rebuild complete with new bearings and new paint. Cutter head installed with new knives. Getting there.
[Image: IMG-3743.jpg]" />
Nice work.  Looks like it did when it was just off the factory floor.
(05-19-2023, 07:17 PM)barryvabeach Wrote: Nice work.  Looks like it did when it was just off the factory floor.

Thanks!

Just posted it in the S&S forum.
Lookin awesome there
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(05-21-2023, 05:30 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Lookin awesome there

Thanks!

I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that you will never recover a fraction of the time and effort put into this type of restoration when you turn around and try to sell it. Folks will buy a chinese machine over a nicely restored piece of American iron. It's a pity, really. So many nice machines could be put back to good use, but there is no market for it.
(05-21-2023, 07:29 PM)Philip1231 Wrote: Thanks!

I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that you will never recover a fraction of the time and effort put into this type of restoration when you turn around and try to sell it. Folks will buy a chinese machine over a nicely restored piece of American iron. It's a pity, really. So many nice machines could be put back to good use, but there is no market for it.

Unfortunately the problem is the machine you chose to restore. 4" jointers are not particularly desirable; just look at every "what size jointer should I get?" thread, the answer is almost universally to get the biggest you can fit or afford. If you started with a 6" long bed Delta you'd likely have no problem getting $500 for it.
I had a Delta Rockwell 37-220 (6" Jointer) that I bought for about $200 off Craigslist back about 2007.  Tracking the serial number, I found that it was manufactured in Tupelo MS in 1958; that jointer and I were (are) the same age.

I cleaned it up, repainted it, and got it back into operation.  I used it for 15 years until I was able to purchase a used DJ-20 (8" jointer).  I gave the 37-220 to my son-in-law as he has begun getting into woodworking; so the machine is still in the family.

But, yeah, you're right, you'll never get the $$ payoff for the effort.  In my case, I needed a jointer, and happened across a pice of old iron.  I also have a Rockwell Super 990 turret-style RAS.  I paid $75 for that, but spent a LOT of work fixing and getting it back into operation.  I have it because I think it's a cool old machine and it fills a need.
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")