Pulling a Bearing [Delta/Rockwell 37-290 Jointer Rebuild]
So I ended up buying another blind bearing puller on amazon and that did the trick (Local auto zone did not have one of these to loan).
this:

[Image: 61nDbAhh3tL._AC_SL1500_.jpg]
I was going to suggest filling the hole full of gun grease then take a dowel the size of the bearing hole and tap it into the hole. The grease will force the bearing out. May have to add more grease before exit.
But I see the bearing has no seal on it.

Well, you'll have a puller for another job down the road....
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(05-13-2023, 07:37 AM)fredhargis Wrote: I think you might be able to heat up the block and the bearing may fall out. That's likely to be a bit messy with the grease but I've used that trick a few times and it usually works. As for heating the block a heat gun might be best (or maybe a heat lamp) but I suppose there are other ingenious ways to do it that I haven't thought out.

could toss it in the freezer for an hour or so to shrink the bearing race a bit then add heat to the block
Philip,  first ,  that is a great looking puller.  Second,  I will use nearly any excuse to buy  ( or make ) a tool.     BTW,  in looking for solutions, I saw a neat video where a guy used bread to remove a bearing, though not sure how long it took  https://youtu.be/y2ggE0rC3g0
(05-14-2023, 08:40 PM)lincmercguy Wrote: A machine shop might be able to do it for cheap.

"I think you might be able to heat up the block and the bearing may fall out. That's likely to be a bit messy with the grease but I've used that trick a few times and it usually works. As for heating the block a heat gun might be best (or maybe a heat lamp) but I suppose there are other ingenious ways to do it that I haven't thought out."

You can clean the grease out first. If you try heat, you want something that will heat quickly like a torch. You want the cap to heat while the bearing is still cold. If it doesn't work with just heat, you could put it in the freezer for several hours and then heat the cap.

If you're not keen on the torch, you could freeze it overnight, then dip the cap side in very hot water (with a pliers, of course).

Good luck!

I have a puller designed to pull the thrust bearing for the input shaft of auto transmission it attaches to a slide hammer looks likes it might go thru the inner race and expand to fit against it then you could pull it if you cam secure the whole thing to withstand the force of the slide hammer. Auto zone might have one cheap or if you know friends who do automotive work they might have on. If you can't get anywhere locally, I'd send mine and you can return it.
Ed
(05-14-2023, 08:40 PM)lincmercguy Wrote: A machine shop might be able to do it for cheap.

"I think you might be able to heat up the block and the bearing may fall out. That's likely to be a bit messy with the grease but I've used that trick a few times and it usually works. As for heating the block a heat gun might be best (or maybe a heat lamp) but I suppose there are other ingenious ways to do it that I haven't thought out."

You can clean the grease out first. If you try heat, you want something that will heat quickly like a torch. You want the cap to heat while the bearing is still cold. If it doesn't work with just heat, you could put it in the freezer for several hours and then heat the cap.

If you're not keen on the torch, you could freeze it overnight, then dip the cap side in very hot water (with a pliers, of course).

Good luck!
I don’t see where you say what size the outer diameter of the bearing is but- chuck a piece of 2x6” or whatever it takes and turn a hollow that will clear the bearing diameter plus a bit- make it deep enough to clear the thickness of the bearing.-then drill a hole though large enough to allow access to the inner  bearing and find a piece of metal thick enough to hacksaw a hook on one end and a notch  you can hit with a hammer on the other end- clamp the jig to the bearing unit-or screw it  if those are holes in the flange- somehow fasten it  and clamp in vise of whatever you have- then i would think that you could coax the bearing out by tapping with you pulling rod going around the rim of the inner bearing. Sort of Mickey mouse but that doesn’t look like very thick material on the bearing holder or whatever it is so it shouldn’t be too hard a pull.

Good luck, Ed
Wow: a plethora of great ideas.

Ed: appreciate the loan offer but I did break down and spend $17 on that spiffy puller above so I am fixed for pullers, for now.

So I neglected to take a pic of the puller in action, but I do have a picture of the project in progress: a Rockwell (Delta) 37-290 4" jointer. It's got to be over 50 years old but it starting to look new again. Stay tuned......

[Image: IMG-3723.jpg]" />
Gain'n on it:

[Image: IMG-3739.jpg]" />
Looks just like my first jointer.  Bought at JCPenney's in the very early 70s.  Yep, the sold tools then, I still have a few wrenches and the ratchet was the best i ever owned.  Funny thing, just after the time Delta was bought by Rockwell and Rockwell also owned Collins Radio.  Collins had sold my employer some computers and the tech team on site could get Rockwell tool discounts.  The team leader offered me the use of that discount.  But, JCP'S selling price was lower than the employee price!

Used that thing for years and it was still working fine when I upgraded to a bigger unit.