Red Oak dish
Making a shallow bowl with a Red Oak cut off from the coffee table project
Very nice work and beautiful grain in that platter/bowl.

Thank you for sharing.

Was that just friction between the chuck and the live center for the first turning?
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
I’ve used that same “chucking” system. You basically turn a recess into the drive plate so the bowl “snaps” into it. Normally you start with the the tail stock against the bowl and do the very last bits without the tail stock.
VH07V  
(05-16-2023, 01:08 PM)EightFingers Wrote: I’ve used that same “chucking” system. You basically turn a recess into the drive plate so the bowl “snaps” into it. Normally you start with the the tail stock against the bowl and do the very last bits without the tail stock.

For the turning that starts ~2:15, I do not see a drive plate and I cannot tell if I am seeing the full depth of the chuck jaws or not.

That is why I asked.

Taking another look, when the piece is flipped over to turn the inside of the bowl at ~4:22, I could imagine that I am seeing a hole for a worm screw that was held by the chuck.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

Most likely a tenon, he may also used a recess (dovetail).

I’ve turned hundreds of bowls like that and I used a tenon on all of them.
VH07V  
(05-18-2023, 12:10 AM)EightFingers Wrote: Most likely a tenon, he may also used a recess (dovetail).

I’ve turned hundreds of bowls like that and I used a tenon on all of them.

I understand about using mortises and tenons for turning.

I am asking about what was done by this turner in this video.

Do you see any indication of a mortise or a tenon at the 4:22 mark in the video when the piece is turned over?

Yes, he used a dovetailed recessed mortise. That short handled tool he used just before the bowl was turned is the tool to make the dovetail.
VH07V  
(05-18-2023, 01:45 PM)EightFingers Wrote: Yes, he used a dovetailed recessed mortise. That short handled tool he used just before the bowl was turned is the tool to make the dovetail.

From ~3:50 to ~4:21, he makes the dovetailed recessed mortise in the bottom (underside) of the bowl.

How is the piece being held while he is doing that?

When the piece is turned over to work on the inside of the bowl at~4:22, I do not see any recess or tenon in that surface that was against the chuck up until then.

My current guess is that I am seeing a hole left by a worm screw clamped in the chuck to hold the workpiece while the outside of the bowl was shaped.

Could be a screw chuck or another tenon.
I would have used a tenon on that side (top of the bowl).

Maybe the OP could describe his procedure if he comes back.
VH07V  
(05-18-2023, 03:06 PM)iclark Wrote: From ~3:50 to ~4:21, he makes the dovetailed recessed mortise in the bottom (underside) of the bowl.

How is the piece being held while he is doing that?

When the piece is turned over to work on the inside of the bowl at~4:22, I do not see any recess or tenon in that surface that was against the chuck up until then.

My current guess is that I am seeing a hole left by a worm screw clamped in the chuck to hold the workpiece while the outside of the bowl was shaped.

When I zoom into the video, I can see threads in the hole you're referencing. So yes, I believe you're right, Ivan.