Automated router fence and lift
Not something I would ever purchase  but pretty cool.   I've seen an automated fence and lift before but I don't recall seeing one that can move simultaneously with one another.  Kinda of like a cnc even though the guy on the video makes sure to say it's not one at the start.  It's made by nextwave who makes the shark cnc.  The price point seems high but it would also theoretically replace other jigs and tools so who knows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3er2m_duGQc
wow . . . that's pretty cool!

but . . . has he "scratched the surface" yet??  
Laugh
(05-18-2023, 07:51 AM)Juss1 Wrote: Not something I would ever purchase  but pretty cool.   I've seen an automated fence and lift before but I don't recall seeing one that can move simultaneously with one another.  Kinda of like a cnc even though the guy on the video makes sure to say it's not one at the start.  It's made by nextwave who makes the shark cnc.  The price point seems high but it would also theoretically replace other jigs and tools so who knows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3er2m_duGQc

I just logged onto WoodNet simply to share this video but you beat me to it!

Very interesting! Almost $2k
That is one cool machine.  For all that it can do the price seems "fairly" reasonable.  I could do those things (at least as far as I watched) on the CNC, but programming would take a lot longer initially.  This looks to be perfect for one offs and small batch work.  

John
(05-18-2023, 12:04 PM)jteneyck Wrote: That is one cool machine.  For all that it can do the price seems "fairly" reasonable.  I could do those things (at least as far as I watched) on the CNC, but programming would take a lot longer initially.  This looks to be perfect for one offs and small batch work.  

John

actually, no cnc owner myself, but what about the box joints and dovetails?  would they be roughed out on the CNC, then you square off the corners with a chisel?  
Confused
(05-18-2023, 12:59 PM)arthropod98 Wrote: actually, no cnc owner myself, but what about the box joints and dovetails?  would they be roughed out on the CNC, then you square off the corners with a chisel?  
Confused

You could do that, or you can make the joints with rounded corners, or you can stand the pieces up on end and cut true box and dovetail joints.  I added a vertical fence on mine to be able to do that.  

This is one way to do them flat, with dogbone corners.  Looks crude to me but it's OK for utilitarian purposes. 

[Image: AJFCJaVmHEZhtDQiAgZibU-HJKXpDmnDoTr2XiH_...authuser=1]

Here's a small vertical fence I built to test the approach to make genuine finger joints and dovetails. 

[Image: AJFCJaWmZTNkE-FiHW87uIzGLNPAUs75jAfy1Ifb...authuser=1]

[Image: AJFCJaXmRqLhLWW7w1cR5E2gw7f6y1F6WY1oWhFG...authuser=1]

And the larger, final version in my CNC.

[Image: AJFCJaW4TvdVbIGnRz_VPlYkV8uQ2kUKik4Qyekr...authuser=1]

Once you have the program set up, it's pretty foolproof to crank out parts, actually, multiple parts at a time.  I imagine once I use this feature more it will be just as easy to set up as that slick programmable router table.  That sure looks quick and easy to use though.  

John
the cutout for standing up is pretty sweet!  that never even crossed my mind to do something like that . . . very cool!  
Yes

zat an x-box controller??  
Winkgrin 
Laugh
I’ve thought about building something like this, but the more challenging part is the programming to make the hardware functional.
(05-19-2023, 07:52 AM)JDuke Wrote: I’ve thought about building something like this, but the more challenging part is the programming to make the hardware functional.

that's the majority of the reason i haven't dipped a toe into the whole CNC thing . . . do enough computery stuff during the weekdays.  
Crazy

oh, and lack of space too.  
Laugh
If you build something on your cnc to hold the board vertically (end grain parallel to the spoilboard, like the second picture in John's post),
there's software for Mac3 to cut dovetails and box joints.. no chisel work required. If you want the wizard, send me your email (it's abandoned sofware)

If you have vcarve or aspire, there's a gadget that for about $100 that makes all kinds of joints. I have bought it, have not tried it yet though.
https://www.corbinwoodworks.com/cnc-software.html