spray foam insulation - dangers and downfalls
Was the inspector young? I’ve noticed younger people tend to be able to memorize facts and gather information, but the critical analysis of that information is lacking.

I’m not sure if that’s age/experience related, or a fault in their upbringing and education.
Matt

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.
-Jack Handy

(06-13-2023, 05:17 AM)EatenByLimestone Wrote: Was the inspector young?  I’ve noticed younger people tend to be able to memorize facts and gather information, but the critical analysis of that information is lacking.

I’m not sure if that’s age/experience related, or a fault in their upbringing and education.

I really don't know. Most likely. Young/New, inexperienced inspectors tent to spend a lot on gizmos. Older guys like me are less gizmo oriented. I have a tool-bag in the truck which has a gas sniffer and a carbon monoxide meter that I'll use once in a while if I see or smell something that might warrant it. Some other odds and ends too... amp meter, multi meter, some screw and nut drivers. Most everything I use is in a small tool belt pouch. My inspection software is on my phone and it's also my camera.

The gizmo oriented guys have drones, crawlspace crawl-bots, TI cameras, digital water pressure gauges etc. All that stuff has it uses and it's impressive to a client but slows down the inspection. You'll see a lot of it on eBay, especially right now when a lot of inspectors are going out of business. A commercial license is needed to fly a drone and not allowed near DC or an airport. Most of my inspections are in the no-fly zone around DC.

I carry a multi bit screwdriver, moisture meter (probe), gfci receptacle tester, small flashlight, IR laser thermometer, contact voltage probe (pen), small utility knife and an awl. All fits nicely in a small pouch. I can glance at it and know what's missing. Rarely do I need anything else.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

(06-13-2023, 05:17 AM)EatenByLimestone Wrote: Was the inspector young?  I’ve noticed younger people tend to be able to memorize facts and gather information, but the critical analysis of that information is lacking.

That's no different with any generation.  I went to college with some guys/girls who didn't have a clue how to analyze all data they had collected, or what to do about it if they could.  That was 40 something years ago.  Fast forward to the end of my corporate engineering days.  We hired several just out of college kids who were just excellent at collecting and analyzing data, and knew what to do about what it told them.  I was amazed at the maturity and capability of a couple of them; far beyond what I was capable of at their age. 

There are smart and not so smart folks in every generation and every occupation.  

John
I'm a member of several online forums and FB groups for home inspectors. I read a lot about new inspectors going into the business who believe there's a lot of money to be made and how there's a shortage of home inspectors. A lot of these guys and gals are very young but not all of them. That doesn't mean they can't be good inspectors. It just means that they probably don't have a lot of real world experience working for themselves, working in the trades, selling, marketing, understanding the market etc. They have no real clue how long it takes to develop a business just to get to the point of making a steady income, let alone a good income. And don't fully understand the work it takes to get the business to that point.

These guys see all the gizmos home inspectors have and they feel the need to buy all of it to play with the big boys. The big boys don't always have a lot of gizmos. They are so impressionable. I think that's a trend in young people. Instant gratification through technology. None of it matters if the business/industry can't support them.

The home inspector training companies are promoting 6 figure incomes, low overhead, shortages of home inspectors etc. In 2022, only 2 areas of the country had shortages of home inspectors. Seattle and Nashville. The only way to buy a home right now in a desirable area is to have a great offer or all cash AND waive all contract contingencies. If not, the offer won't even be considered. Most homes in desirable areas have offer deadlines of 3 to 4 days from listing and will still have multiple offers well above asking. Most homes are listed around appraisal value. The home can easily sell 15-20% above appraised value so the buyer needs a lot of cash. If they get a home inspection, it will probably be after closing. Independent home inspectors are dropping like flies. The big multi inspector firms are laying off and have been since late 2021.

I was able to sustain my business, keep busy (5-6 days a week) and generate a decent income through early 2022 with about 12 strong referring RE agents and several mid to bottom feeders. 90% of my leads come from agents, 10% referrals and a smattering of leads from my website. I'm dealing with about 25 strong agents now and my inspections are off 35% since 2022. Income is off about 20%... I have drastically raised my prices since 2020. About 2 price increases a year since then.7 increases since 2020. Any new gear I've bought was used... off eBay and probably from a failed inspector.

The new guys are doing cheap inspections to get the business. But their prices can't sustain their business and the gizmo prices.

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

The flir one gadget for phones is pretty affordable and effective.

I bought one to deal with some issues in my house, and because I'm a bit of a tool nerd.
You are frequently puzzled by things you tell us you fully understand. - Bob10 to EH 9/22/16

Too much has been made out of my mostly idle comments  - Cletus 12/9/15

You sound like one of those survivalist, hoarder, tin foil hat, militia, clinger, wackjobs.  - Fear Monger 1/30/13
(06-15-2023, 09:16 AM)FireWood Wrote: The flir one gadget for phones is pretty affordable and effective.

I bought one to deal with some issues in my house, and because I'm a bit of a tool nerd.

It's not the most reliable product. I've looked into it and got input from other inspectors. It can be buggy. Don't have time for buggy at an inspection.

Most guys who use a TI camera sell the service as an add-on. Like another $275-$300 on top of the inspection. It's a nice add on but I'd feel kind of funny selling something that probably isn't necessary. I do air quality testing (mold) when necessary, Radon testing for almost every inspection and sub out Lead Testing if requested. That's enough. Don't want to be there all day.

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

Not recommended here on the gulf coast at all.
" That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government,"

"the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

One disadvantage of closed cell spray foam insulation in walls is the inability or difficulty when remodeling. All the wires and plumbing are basically encased in the foam and flush with the interior drywall, making it very difficult to rewire or reroute plumbing unless you remove the drywall and take out the foam. Time consuming, costly, and messy. Then open cell foam is soft and squishy, and you can snake a wire though it fairly easily. Not so easy for rerouting plumbing.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Quote:One disadvantage of closed cell spray foam insulation in walls is the inability or difficulty when remodeling

That’s not really a disadvantage 
Confused   Even if it was , the energy / comfort benefit would easily eclipse it.  

You’re going on the premise that any insulation disturbed during said remodeling won’t be properly replaced.   So yes, the hacks will find it a problem.  Anyone that’s removing and properly replacing insulation during a remodel won’t have an issue.  Might cost a bit more , but that’s a given since foam is more $ upfront.
Snipehunter, what do you think of the modular construction using factory-constructed foam panels?

The impermeable external shell is a constant concern for us van builders.
Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

"It's good to know, but it's better to understand."  Auze Jackson