Something to do in June?
Matching Box to the lid, today...looking for high spots..

And trying to figure out IF it is the lid or the box...Stanley No.7c to level the two until no gaps show...then,  level, square, and smooth around the outside

Level and planed smooth...
And squared.....edge of the bottom and top wanted to "curl" up a bit....they flat now...

Sides done, front looking good..time to select some hardware?

Hinges are what is on hand...Latches?

Have a choice of two kinds...trying to decide which...

Was a busy day...made a mess, too..

As for that smooth plane?
Sold by Van Camp Hardware...a No. 4

Attached Files Image(s)

Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Hardware is installed..PIP?

And opened up...

That looks great, Bandit! Really like the blind DTs. Now, will you finish it (witch's brew?), and, what're you going to put in it?

Thanks for sharing, I really enjoy your builds.
Parts is parts..

Plan right now, is to have three trays...2 narrow lower trays, sitting under the "main" tray...had to make a prototype...to figure out where to attach a couple swing arms..

Took a few tries...

4th try....then lower the tray...

And see IF the lid will shut..

So, first off, I need to build the main tray.....

Using hand cut box/finger joints.   2 done..2 to go...a 1/4" plywood panel will get glued to the bottom of the tray....

Swing arm hardware..

aka.."Sex Bolts"....to let the arm pivot.  May have to counter bore them to clear the sides of the box...

May just give the entire mess a couple coats of Amber Shellac? 
Stay tuned...
Corners 3 and 4 are done...dry fit?

Pre-setting a few clamps, and checking the corners for square 

Then slip a 1/4" plywood panel underneath...

Will connect the marks on the plywood with a larger square...

Problem with these small saws...

One on the left is just TOO thin...for doing any rip cuts...too flimsy, follows the grain more than a line..is more suited for cross cuts.   Other saw is a Disston No. 68...and has no problems doing straight cuts as a rip saw.

Plan for today....cut a couple dividers to a slip fit inside of the tray...a half lap joint where they will be crossing each other...want to be able to remove them if needed..

Once that is done..maybe a glue up?

Stay tuned
Dividers are done...
Cut to length..

Looking for a slip fit...lay out lines drawn..

Bandsaw, splitting the lines...then a chisel..

To pop out the waste...test the fit...

Almost too tight, this is as far as a mallet could take things....we have ways..

And....it even came out square...

Test the fit into the tray...

Will come in handy, during the glue-up of the 4 sides of the tray.....will keep the sides from bowing in from the clamp pressure...

Clamps, cauls, bottle of  glue, and a brush to moosh the glue around all them fingers, except mine..

Checked the diagonals, clamp to correct that to square....then double checked the corners...

Will let this sit a spell.. need to mark out the plywood for the bottom of this tray, and cut it to size.   Then, when these clamps come off, I can glue the panel to the bottom of the tray...

Stay tuned..
Updates:   Main Tray has been fitted to the box...

Fancy tray has been glued up..

And a start on the "Secret Tray" has been started...

3 corners are done...eye issues, and it being a Monday...Might try to get #4 corner made, a glue-up done, and then add the bottom panel..

Brass handles now have 2 coats of gloss black...

Screws and all...Black would wear away a little bit, and will match the rest of the hardware. 

Eye issues?

When stuff like this, makes a Disston No.68 Gents/dovetail saw seem like a D-8....Took Sunday off, because of eye issues ( Cataracts) and a headache...Today being a Monday....shop is NORMALLY closed on Mondays...we'll see how the eyes are doing...

Stay tuned...
Update:   Have bought a couple squares of Green Felt to line the trays with...Insides have a coat of Amber Shellac...Outside of the box, a coat of Witch's Brew and top coated with Amber Shellac..Photos?

Suppose you were a British Officer on Campaign, wake up in the morning in your camp...and need to shave and otherwise look "Presentable on Parade"   This is similar to a box from the Old Army & Navy Store....

When you lift the main tray up and out, there is this fancy tray down below...Now, IF you need to hide items out of sight...you would lift the fancy tray up and out, and set it onto the main tray....

There is another tray that can be slide to the rear...( maybe your Money Stash?) it does have a handle..

Kind of a plain tray...Put everything back in place ( in case the Camp is to moved that day) And close the lid.   There is no lock?   Well, something WITH a lock tends to draw more attention to it, than just a plain old Shaving Kit box....

Doesn't look like a "Strong Box", does it....THAT is the idea...

Sturdy, black handles to carry it around with...

Hinges that don't stick out any further than needed, so they can't "catch" on anything....and aren't exposed to a Thief's screwdriver..

Not too bad of a little box project?
That's a good-looking box, Bandit.  Is this box going atop your dresser?
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood