Tool activated switch for Dust collector
I am looking to buy a portable cyclone dust collector  2hp or higher
My current dust collector is 110 volt and all my tools are 110 volt, I use a tool activated switch to turn my dust collector.

The new dust collector will probably going to be 220 Volt about 5 amp. This will be a little challenge and how to activate the dust collector when I start the tool as they will be on separate circuit and separate voltage.

My current tool activated switch has accessory output, where I plug my current dust collector , I am thinking about using the same output , use relay and start the new 220 volt dust collector, I have done search on web but so far could not find a schematic also could not find a offshelf device. May be I am not looking into correct places.

Any help will be appreciated to find a solution

Thanks

Attached Files Image(s)

Well to start with you'll need a current sensing switch;    https://www.amazon.com/Current-Sensing-N...0687002639   I'm not positive but I'm pretty sure only one wire should pass thru it; that would be the hot suppling the receptacle. (The A.C. hot and neutral would basically cancel each other out.) I've seen some videos with instructions to build your own, with adjustable delay if desired. But these are also available for purchase (I just don't remember where right now). 

Now that you have a switch for the relay coil, you have to decide what coil you want on the relay. You could use a 120v coil because you'll have that at the receptacle, or a 240v coil because it's available at the dust collector. Another option is to use a transformer and go with a low voltage coil. The advantage of that is you will have the option to install several (or many) remote start/stop switches around your shop and some of them could be additional current sensing switches. I suppose you could do the same thing with line voltage but I'd rather run a spool of thermostat wire than a bunch of 14ga Romex.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
(06-04-2023, 08:18 PM)Jack01 Wrote: I am looking to buy a portable cyclone dust collector  2hp or higher
My current dust collector is 110 volt and all my tools are 110 volt, I use a tool activated switch to turn my dust collector.

The new dust collector will probably going to be 220 Volt about 5 amp. This will be a little challenge and how to activate the dust collector when I start the tool as they will be on separate circuit and separate voltage.

My current tool activated switch has accessory output, where I plug my current dust collector , I am thinking about using the same output , use relay and start the new 220 volt dust collector, I have done search on web but so far could not find a schematic also could not find a offshelf device. May be I am not looking into correct places.

Thanks
The easiest way to do what you want is to use your current switch and take the accessory output and connect it to a 120v contactor like this which you can put in a box. If you are not comfortable working with electricity, please hire an electrician.

Larry
(06-04-2023, 08:18 PM)Jack01 Wrote: I am looking to buy a portable cyclone dust collector  2hp or higher

Thanks
I have built a couple boxes to do what your looking to do, including one that has both a 110 and a 220 output, to start both a dust collector and a shop vac when tablesaw comes on. 

You can source the parts for it, and may save a little by using the current sensor you already have, but what I found was that Ivac pro pretty much makes a device already for about the price of the components.  So unless you need a specific function they don’t support then you will be money ahead just  buyin theirs.
I have the iVac Pro system.  I have two sending units for 220V tools, though they do make sending units for 110V units as well.  The receiving unit at the dust collector is a 16A unit that switches my converted HF cyclone DC.

The iVac Pro system is scalable; you can use it for many dust generating tools of either 110V or 220V voltages.

I also have a separate remote RF switch to control the DC.  I find that I use almost all of the time.

It works well, but I find that every few weeks have to hit the reset and unplug/re-plug the receiving unit at the DC as it seems to "hang up."  It resets and all is well again.
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")
A related question for those that use machine activated dust collection. How many times per hour does your dust collector cycle? I'm under the impression that induction motors like those found on dust collectors shouldn't cycle more than 4 - 6 times per hour due to heat build up.
I have mine set up with a remote as well so that I can leave it on if I’m going to be turning saw on and off frequently.

One of the benefits of rolling your own.
A tool trigger on a shop vac/dust extractor is fine, but not always on a dust collect. As kurt18947 mentioned that class of motor has problems if it's cycled on and off too frequently. A remote is a much better option so if you are turning your saw off between cuts, which is probably safer, you aren't cycling the DC so frequently.

If you look you'll find shop vacs/extractors can come with tool switches. Dust collectors only come with remotes.

Cliff
‘The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence
Charles Bukowski
I just carry a remote in my pocket. Built the box and mounted it in my electrical panels and wired in a lamp switch.

Diagram I used was Dennis Peacock's over on the creek. Cost was about 50 bucks back then.
Been about 04-05, and has been very reliable.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Just to be clear...the remote I use with my DC system is an iVac brand, just like the rest of the switching.  It communicates with the receiving unit at the DC.
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")