Tool activated switch for Dust collector
(06-06-2023, 09:20 AM)kurt18947 Wrote: A related question for those that use machine activated dust collection. How many times per hour does your dust collector cycle? I'm under the impression that induction motors like those found on dust collectors shouldn't cycle more than 4 - 6 times per hour due to heat build up.

You are correct, but it's still popular with many hobbyists. I think in a hobby setting that the cycles may be too frequent...but only in short spurts versus a commercial setting where it may go on around the clock...and that's the point where the motor failures kick in. But I'm guessing, I know when I had a day job we had a system that switched the motors on/off constantly and we we're always replacing those motors. Reliant (the manufacturer) suggested we use a clutch mechanism to avoid the start/stop, but we never switched over.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Check Lee Valley and Woodcraft. They both sell remotes for dust collectors. I'd personally rather have a remote that independently turns on the DC vs. having it be tool activated. I like to keep my TS on a separate circuit than other 220v tools.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I've never seen the need for a tool activated dust collector switch. I carry a remote in my apron and turn the dust collector on when I need it, off when I'm finished.

Frank
(06-05-2023, 02:15 PM)JDuke Wrote: I have built a couple boxes to do what your looking to do, including one that has both a 110 and a 220 output, to start both a dust collector and a shop vac when tablesaw comes on. 

You can source the parts for it, and may save a little by using the current sensor you already have, but what I found was that Ivac pro pretty much makes a device already for about the price of the components.  So unless you need a specific function they don’t support then you will be money ahead just  buyin theirs.

J duke and R clark,  I have contacted I vac Pro , they provided correct part numbers, I will order those
Thanks for your help
Each of my blast gates is set up with a reed switch that is activated by a magnet when I manually operate the gate. The low voltage reed switch activates a relay that controls my 5 hp ClearVue cyclone. When I open the gate, the switch turns the cyclone on. When I close the gate the switch turns it off. I can open as many getes as I want and the cyclone remains on until the last one is closed. I can leave one gate open to avoid short cycling the cyclone and overheating the motor.
(06-09-2023, 09:44 AM)Jack01 Wrote:  J duke and R clark,  I have contacted I vac Pro , they provided correct part numbers, I will order those
Thanks for your help

Glad we could help among the chatter as to why you shouldn’t do what you wanted to.
(06-11-2023, 05:27 AM)JDuke Wrote: Glad we could help among the chatter as to why you shouldn’t do what you wanted to.

Definitely helped me, too.

I never knew about the issue with frequent on/off cycling of DCs.

thanks
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.