Carrier HVAC Condenser Fan Motor Replacement
I live in Arizona and have a 3.5 ton Carrier HVAC system which has run for 24 years.  Over the last 6 years or so, the condenser fan motor bearings have given me problems now and then (squeaking and seizing) and I have had to take apart the motor, clean and lubricate it, and put it back.    However, it's now got to a stage where I need to replace the motor the next time this happens and was wondering how I should go about doing this.  Here are my options:

1. Buy an original Carrier replacement motor (Part No. HC37GE210A, made by GE; GE Part No. 5KCP39JG-S283BS), with specs as follows:  1/5HP, 825rpm, 208 to 230 volts AC, thermally protected, 7.5mF capacitor
Questions:
a) Is it worth spending a fortune (upwards of $370) and buying the original spare or should I buy an after-market product for far, far less ?
b) If I am to buy the original, who should I buy it from ?  Carrier does not list its spare parts distributors on it's web site (at least, I could not find it) and I don't want to pay a high price and land up with a spurious product from a shady operator.

2. Buy an aftermarket product at a much lower cost (as low as $115), to last another 3 to 5 years, as I will likely change my HVAC by then.  I don't want to change it right now for a multitude of reasons.
a) If I should buy an aftermarket product, what are good, reliable brands and who should I buy it from ?
b) What sort of warranty can I expect and how long could I expect it to last ?
c) The original motor has a sleeve bearing.  Should I be looking at ball bearings ?  Are they available with ball bearings ?

The circuit diagram is attached.  The system uses a split capacitor 7.5mF + 55mF, with 7.5 for fan and 55 for Compressor.  The shape is cylindrical.  I plan to change the capacitor when I change the motor.  What brand of capacitor ought I to buy. When I did a search on Google, there were a ton of them available. They vary in price from about $16 to $50 and are all made in China .... so what's the difference ?  Are there specific brands that are reliable ?

All practical advice from folks who have done this before or who have first hand information would be much appreciated !

Thanks !

Attached Files
.pdf   38BY-3W Wiring Diagram.pdf (Size: 69.75 KB / Downloads: 54)
Carrier probably doesn't make the motor. I know they don't make the compressor. The motor should have a manufacturer's namplate on it. I'd google the model number and I bet you could find it online. Probably even on Amazon.

If you want to go original, any HVAC supply house should either have it in stock or be able to get you one in a couple days.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(06-05-2023, 07:53 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: Carrier probably doesn't make the motor. I know they don't make the compressor. The motor should have a manufacturer's namplate on it. I'd google the model number and I bet you could find it online. Probably even on Amazon.

If you want to go original, any HVAC supply house should either have it in stock or be able to get you one in a couple days.

The original is made by GE and also costs a fortune. I have provided both the GE and Carrier part numbers in my original post.
Buy the generic replacement motor. Budget for a replacement system.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

How's this? https://www.cshincorporated.com/oca10208...ent-motor/ Seems to be a direct replacement; or at least that's what it says at the bottom of the page.
I do enough business with SupplyHouse .com that I get small discount and free shipping, so I would order from them. I started with them years ago because their pricing was better that I could get locally (even with Contractors discounts). They ship fast, and I've never had a problem with returning extra seldom used fittings and parts I ordered.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
(06-05-2023, 11:14 PM)MstrCarpenter Wrote: How's this? https://www.cshincorporated.com/oca10208...ent-motor/ Seems to be a direct replacement; or at least that's what it says at the bottom of the page.
I do enough business with SupplyHouse .com that I get small discount and free shipping, so I would order from them. I started with them years ago because their pricing was better that I could get locally (even with Contractors discounts). They ship fast, and I've never had a problem with returning extra seldom used fittings and parts I ordered.

This seems perfect - thank you very much !

I also spoke with Grainger this morning and they suggested I use this:
https://www.grainger.com/product/DAYTON-...Applicable
(06-05-2023, 11:14 PM)MstrCarpenter Wrote: How's this? https://www.cshincorporated.com/oca10208...ent-motor/ Seems to be a direct replacement; or at least that's what it says at the bottom of the page.

I've also had very good experiences with SupplyHouse.Com
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

Whatever you buy, do it now before you actually need it. Several years ago the condensor fan motor on my unit failed. This was in July. Getting it online was going take more time than my wife wanted to wait. The supply houses here won't sell to you unless you have an account. You can't get an account unless you are licensed. I knew someone who's FIL was general refrigeration tech and licensed but lived out of state. I called the guy I knew to see if he could hook me up. 10 minutes after that call his FIL called me. We troubleshot it over the phone and it turned out out he had an account at one of the places near me from helping his SIL replace his HVAC units. He called and ordered the motor, I went and picked it up and had it in same day.