Festool ETS EC 150/3 EQ 6" Sander
Question 
I won a Festool ETS EC 150/3 EQ 6" Sander w/Systainer in the fundraiser raffle on another forum. In case, there is anyone here from that forum, please know up front that I am very appreciative.

That said, this is my first Festool item and I am in a bit of a sticker shock for accessories.

I already have dust collectors and shop vacs. So, I am not feeling a need to spend $400-$800 for a Festool brand DC.

The idea of spending $400 for a dust collector hose with power cord for the sander absolutely blows my mind. Bare DC hoses with Festool branding seem to start around $150 for short ones.

It looks like there are adapters that will allow me to use reasonably-priced 3rd-party dust collector hoses, but I keep getting confused trying to figure out which ones go where or for which tool. 

I haven't unboxed the sander yet to find out if they use a proprietary connector on their power cords or not.

Can someone with Festool experience (especially with the ETS EC 150/3(or5) EQ 6" sanders) educate me about good quality 3rd-party accessories and which ones I want so I can make good use of the sander? Knowing which brands to avoid would be useful as well.

thanks in advance
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Well, up front I'll tell you I sold my Festool sander not wanting to stock another pile of paper with a different hole pattern, but I have 3 other Festool products and i simply plug my Fein vac hose onto them...works fine. I wold guess that other 1 1/4" vac hoses would plug in as well maybe with a duct tape wrap. What I don't know is whether you would need variable speed to reduce the suction somewhat. I have to do that with my Bosch sanders. But if you did you could also just vent the hose. I suspect, but do not know, that the plug at the tool end of the power cord is propriety but I'm not sure if that's a problem. The Festool cords are plenty long and good quality, and the other end is standard NEMA 5-15 (120V). The sticker shock stuff is standard equipment with all Festool products.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Yes , the power cord is proprietary and there are NO alternative suppliers. 

The FT hose/cord combo is a dog in my (and others) opinion.  Forget about it.  

If you have a vac hose with a flexible tool connector it will most likely fit on the Festool port.  If not this Bosch will :
https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-16-4-Foot-V...hdGY&psc=1

So will this , and it’s more versatile:
https://www.amazon.com/Cen-Tec-Systems-9...L76XM&th=1

I’d sell that sander and buy this one instead:
https://www.festoolusa.com/products/surf...s#Overview

You’ll have money left over for sandpaper galore and something else too.
Buy the Flexiport hose from Rockler. It comes with adapters to fit anything you have, including Festool, so you can use your current shop vac. And rather than using the Festool sandpaper get one of the net sandpapers like Abranet. Be sure to get one of the pad protectors to go between the pad and sandpaper. You'll also be able to use it on any of your other 6" sanders.

You're going to love the sander. Incredible dust collection. No vibration to fatigue your hands.

I do need to warn you. That sander can be a gateway drug. I could never understand why someone would pay those prices for tools you could get in other brands for a fraction of the price. Then I was able to pick up one of the sanders used for a reasonable cost. I now have 3 sanders, 2 routers, a dust extractor, a track saw, a Domino and the multifunction table. And this wasn't because I didn't have those tools already (except for the Domino and multifunction table) . The Festool replacements worked so well and were so intelligently thought out that it pulled me happily down the rabbit hole. Watch some of the Festool Live videos on YouTube and you'll see what I mean.

I'm not suggesting that Festool is out to get you. But remember that with anyone that's offering an addiction, the first one's free.

Cliff
‘The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence
Charles Bukowski
(06-10-2023, 04:35 PM)polubin Wrote: Buy the Flexiport hose from Rockler. It comes with adapters to fit anything you have,
Cliff

um.....................no
No

while the connectors are first rate , the hose stinks.  It's heavy and stiff and it's only 12'........4ft. shorter than the festool power cord.

The cen-tec listed above is a better hose and it also has all the quick connect tool fittings you'll ever need.   Plus, it's the same length as the power cord.
Winkgrin
I recently got one of those sanders as well and really like it so far.

I've purchased almost every Festool I own from the recon site. It might be a way to get a cheaper vac if you want one. I have the CT Mini. You have to play the game of watching and checking the site to see what's for sale, but the only thing I've purchased new was my Domino.
Project Website  Adding new stuff all of the time.
(06-11-2023, 01:49 PM)lincmercguy Wrote: I recently got one of those sanders as well and really like it so far.

I've purchased almost every Festool I own from the recon site. It might be a way to get a cheaper vac if you want one. I have the CT Mini. You have to play the game of watching and checking the site to see what's for sale, but the only thing I've purchased new was my Domino.

Given that the discount is pretty minimal and the warranty significantly reduced - I always find it amazing that they sell anything there given the risk / reward proposition.

Additionally, you can’t see what you’re buying to gauge the condition and there is no return policy - none

$475 for a used vacuum that you can’t see the condition with only a 1yr warranty is still an expensive vacuum. And you get the satisfaction of knowing that there’s already been something wrong with it.
For the hobbiest, it makes sense to me. If I were a professional, I would want the longer warranty and wouldn't want to spend the time to wait for what I needed.
Project Website  Adding new stuff all of the time.
(06-10-2023, 04:35 PM)cpolubin Wrote: I do need to warn you. That sander can be a gateway drug. I could never understand why someone would pay those prices for tools you could get in other brands for a fraction of the price. Then I was able to pick up one of the sanders used for a reasonable cost. I now have 3 sanders, 2 routers, a dust extractor, a track saw, a Domino and the multifunction table. And this wasn't because I didn't have those tools already (except for the Domino and multifunction table) . The Festool replacements worked so well and were so intelligently thought out that it pulled me happily down the rabbit hole. Watch some of the Festool Live videos on YouTube and you'll see what I mean.

Thanks everyone for your inputs.

Cliff: I definitely understand.
Laugh
You do not want to know how many Shopsmiths and Shopsmith tools that I own or how many non-SS lathes.
Blush

I got back into woodworking when Bill Mayo in Plant City was the go-to guy for used SS stuff and one of my nieces lived nearby him. I got my 1st SS 500 because I needed to do the horizontal drilling for a stair rail for that niece. My woodworking tool collection might have been quite different if I had know about radial-arm drill presses instead of getting the 500 from a co-worker.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

Anyone have any experience with 3M Cubitron II Net Disc Roll 31656 sanding disks?