Woodworking YouTubers?
I was thinking the other day about how much traffic on this forum has declined.  I figured that YouTube is probably the first place that people go these days when they want to learn something new.  I do that a lot myself...

So....   What YouTubers are you watching that you really like?

Me, I watch a lot of blacktail studio.  I don't really care for epoxy tables all that much, but there is something about watching his builds that I find enjoyable.
You are frequently puzzled by things you tell us you fully understand. - Bob10 to EH 9/22/16

Too much has been made out of my mostly idle comments  - Cletus 12/9/15

You sound like one of those survivalist, hoarder, tin foil hat, militia, clinger, wackjobs.  - Fear Monger 1/30/13
LOML found these guys, and i really like 'em:

https://www.youtube.com/@PerkinsBuilderBrothers
It's probably declining because the hobby and industry itself is declining. I imagine everybody's use case is different, but I come here to share my work, enjoy the work of others, observe their designs and processes, and ultimately learn and expand my own skills.

YouTube rarely teaches me anything, with the exception of woodturning and the occasional jig. It's more about entertainment on a topic of interest to me than it is about instruction. I'm probably more cynical than most but I see epoxy tables, for example, as a fad that will not last very long.
He is not a great woodworker, but he is a fantastic youtuber .  https://www.youtube.com/c/BlacktailStudio   He has a great sense of humor, when he makes a mistake, he doesn't edit it out, and instead usually emphasizes it,  he gives lots of helpful tips to beginners, and he shows how nice a table can be if you start with some really good ( though pricey ) slabs..
(06-14-2023, 02:23 PM)FS7 Wrote: It's probably declining because the hobby and industry itself is declining. I imagine everybody's use case is different, but I come here to share my work, enjoy the work of others, observe their designs and processes, and ultimately learn and expand my own skills.

Unfortunately, I think FS7 hit the nail on the head..."hobby and industry itself is declining".  The first Woodworking Show that I attended in the Dallas area was huge, at least to me.  The last one was ten, maybe 15 years ago and was probably half the size.

Also like FS7, I came here to learn.  The talent, skills, and knowledge of the WN brain trust gave me the courage to push myself beyond my comfort zone.  Now I'm too old to have any interest in social media.  I have gone to YouTube, I think three times, to "learn" how someone was turning something I was interested in turning.

Again unfortunately, it does not take me nearly as long to check the latest postings on Woodnet
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
(06-15-2023, 07:51 AM)Bill Holt Wrote: Unfortunately, I think FS7 hit the nail on the head..."hobby and industry itself is declining".  The first Woodworking Show that I attended in the Dallas area was huge, at least to me.  The last one was ten, maybe 15 years ago and was probably half the size.

Also like FS7, I came here to learn.  The talent, skills, and knowledge of the WN brain trust gave me the courage to push myself beyond my comfort zone.  Now I'm too old to have any interest in social media.  I have gone to YouTube, I think three times, to "learn" how someone was turning something I was interested in turning.

Again unfortunately, it does not take me nearly as long to check the latest postings on Woodnet

I imagine it will rebound some. I have several friends that have taken an interest in woodworking, both because of my work (maybe a little) and because of the guys on YouTube (OK, probably the main reason). I'm 41, and when I used to go to the Manassas woodworker's guild I think the average age was probably around 70. When I venture up to Woodcraft, it's not much different. But the guys on YouTube are mostly younger guys (younger than me, anyway) and I think they are building interest among their generation. If my own little corner of the world is any indication there's interest among the 25-45 crowd. It's not an "old man" hobby or skill, though I jokingly refer to it as such.

For what it's worth, there is a definite societal aspect to this as well. Young men are driven primarily by an interest in women (let's not kid ourselves) and "good" women, those we are biologically programmed to determine will be good family mates, are also biologically programmed to be attracted to sufficient protectors and providers. As it becomes more apparent that "men" are capable of building things with their hands and not just ordering things made by men halfway across the world, I think interest will increase. I myself see this with an increase in gardening and homesteading, even at a nano scale (chickens). Woodworking is a logical part of being self-sufficient.

It might be the case that the forum itself is a dying format, much like the newspaper, only to be replaced by Facebook groups (I know nothing about this), other social media, and YouTube. I certainly hope not, but I truly have no idea.
My opinion for what it’s worth.

Physical woodworking shows are all but dead due to the ease and f ordering anything you could dream of on the internet.

As to why this forum is dying compared to 15 years ago, I don’t really have a strong opinion or understanding.

I’m guessing people are getting their wood conversations elsewhere. I’m pretty sure it’s not face to face, maybe it’s on Facebook, maybe it’s sub forums on Reddit (not someplace I’ve been) maybe it’s just the natural progression.
There were several woodworking forums 22 years ago and I’m sure there are several now, they aren’t the same ones as then, the oak died off, bt3central may still be around but I haven’t been in years, there are a couple others as well that shall remain nameless.

Then there’s the stratification of the hobby,
Festool fanboys, and Sawstop snobs (I have both) don’t seem to want to rub elbows with the cross section of folks here that used to lead to some very lively topics.

Then there’s this evolving idea that is killing society as we knew it.
That idea is that if we don’t agree then I must hate everything about you as a whole. So conversations that used to be spirited devolve into name calling shouting matches.

Just my opinion take it for what it’s worth.
I have a few young associates that do woodworking, after a fashion.  One is mostly a turner, the other mostly a CNC "artist" as he calls himself.  Neither can make a joint, except maybe the ones you roll, but the turner has started going to classes from a school near Toronto to learn about joinery, so there's hope.  I sell lumber to a couple of others who build rudimentary furniture and cabinets.  If they keep at it they, too, should become better.  

The problem with forums is responses aren't in real time.  That's what social media offers, for better or worse.  I followed a woodworking oriented chat room on Reddit for a short while.  The level of knowledge there was so low that almost none of the "advise" was worth the electrons it took to display it.  But the input was almost instant, something generation whatever they now are craves.  

YouTube is filled with instant experts, too, but there are enough credible posters that you can learn get valuable info. in nearly a NY second.  I used YouTube just the other day when I needed to confirm how to remove the wheel bearings on a lawnmower.   Again, instant feedback.  Why read FWW, for example, though I still do, when you can get the answer immediately.  

I still come here when I want to get informed input on how to do something, to see what others have made, and how, and to share projects and information I think might be helpful to others.  I also participate at SawMill Creek, where there is a much larger and more active user base.  It's mostly hobbyists on WoodNet, while SMC has a fair number of pro members.  The income level there seems higher, too, along with a commensurately higher snob level from some users.  Whatever the reasons, SMC seems to be a forum that continues to draw active users to it, so the forum concept isn't dead yet, but for whatever reasons WoodNet appears to be in danger of dying off.     

John
Gen Xer here- I think YouTube has been most responsible for killing the forums, and also magazines, etc. My WW progression was Norm>MS Shop Class>Magazines>Here, and except for shop class all 3 at once for a good bit. I came here to get direct advise on very specific things that *I* wanted to know, which may or may not have been of much general interest. They wouldn't make a TV show about what TS to buy as a bad example. The forum was, at the time, as real-time as you could get but that component has been taken over by other social media. Same with the SnS, this used to be a great place to buy and sell and as good as it still is, it ain't what it used to be. I think those of us still here are mostly out of inertia/ nostalgia/ too lazy to find new groups, and a dash of liking the community that was developed here. I'm not a very active member here and even I have a good sense of who knows what they're talking about and who doesn't. But I don't post much and when I do come here I usually just check in the basement to see what all you idiots are arguing about down there today. But I digress..... the OP asked for what YT content we like. I don't watch a lot of YT makers in the WW genre. I do check tool reviews there a lot but no one in particular. I like AvE channel but mostly just cause he's entertaining. I'll watch a WW maker here and there when the algoreithm hits me with something that looks interesting. My son likes Lincoln St WW and Rex Kreuger, and I do to but these two are mostly geared towards beginers.
I don't think it will come back. It's not favored in schools, and I think a lot of people started there. Kind of like the decline of numbers in the Trades. Not a lot of DIY anymore at least around here. Why go to all the trouble to make something, when you can buy something "similar" at IKEA or Walmart? Nothing is built to last, and nobody seems to care. Kitchen cabinets are made of particle board (if lucky), and people will replace them in 10 years because they want a different style.