About the Need to Paint
We have an 8x10 back porch with about three feet open space under it. The floor above is well insulated. Because the open space looks ugly, I’m going to enclose it with with vertical boards. The boards a common grade pine, varying in width from 3 to 5 inches. The boards will be tight together, but are chamfered, making V-grooves for architectural interest. 

My question is about paint.  The side facing out will have exterior grade white paint.  Do I need to paint the backside which is protected from the weather?
I wouldn't. Don't really see a need to.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

Got a large amount of spare time?  Paint both faces and the ends and edges. Won’t hurt anything to do so. Just make sure to leave access and ventilation openings.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

I suspect you would find a lot of similar construction, and I highly doubt any of it was painted on the back side.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I used vinyl soffit material to skirt my wrap arouund porch...zero maintaince. Same look.

Ed
Since you are painting the front, you have to (should) prime it. All my DIY projects for exterior use have been primed prior to assembly, all four sides, and exposed portions then painted with two coats of exterior paint. This lasts a long time.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
The downside of painting is you'll have to do it forever. The downside of painting all sides is if it get moisture in it, it can't dry and will rot. Not a matter of If, but When. That's why I'm so against painted wood decks and porches, it's just a matter of time. Being in a protected area should help a good bit but the future maintenance still looms on the horizon.

Iffin it were me, I'd probably do a vinyl or cedar beaded board or a cement fiber board. James Hardie makes a real nice looking cement-fiber 4x8 panel that looks like T1-11. I think Lowes stocks it. Somebody makes a cement fiber beaded board... I've seen it installed but don't know the brand.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

Once you close that area off, it become very attractive to every large mammal that passes by. Woodchucks, opossums, skunks, and to a lessor extent, raccoons will consider moving in. Plan accordingly.
Matt

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.
-Jack Handy

(06-19-2023, 08:21 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: The downside of painting is you'll have to do it forever. The downside of painting all sides is if it get moisture in it, it can't dry and will rot. Not a matter of If, but When. That's why I'm so against painted wood decks and porches, it's just a matter of time. Being in a protected area should help a good bit but the future maintenance still looms on the horizon.

I tried to explain this to my SIL about her PT stairs and front porch but she insisted on white paint.  I told her that a stain won't show dirt as quickly, would perform slightly better and would be a bit easier for her to apply.