preserving an old wooden rule
I picked up an old Stanley 24" folding rule # 66 3/4 at a garage sale for 25 cents.  I did a light cleaning to get the surface dirt off of it.  Now the wood looks kind of dry.  What would be good to coat the wood with?  Boiled Linseed oil might darken it too much.  Should I just apply some paste wax and call it a day or is there something better?

Thanks!
(06-28-2023, 04:16 PM)toolmiser Wrote: I picked up an old Stanley 24" folding rule # 66 3/4 at a garage sale for 25 cents.  I did a light cleaning to get the surface dirt off of it.  Now the wood looks kind of dry.  What would be good to coat the wood with?  Boiled Linseed oil might darken it too much.  Should I just apply some paste wax and call it a day or is there something better?

Thanks!

I have an extensive collection of folding rules, and suggest gum turpentine (the real thing) followed by a long drying period, and then paste wax. lube those joints too.
I have some turpentine, and will try that, I can already envision the smell. I have already lubed the joints. Overall it is in pretty good condition. I think I am too lazy to polish the brass!

Thanks
Many wood rulers were coated with lacquer.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(06-29-2023, 08:31 AM)AHill Wrote: Many wood rulers were coated with lacquer.
I would rub on a light application of very thin shellac and oil..
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(06-29-2023, 09:26 AM)Timberwolf Wrote: ....................
I would rub on a light application of very thin shellac and oil..

I guess the real question is how much will the OP handle the ruler?  A finish that stands up to frequent handling will be different than one that just preserves the look.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(06-29-2023, 02:01 PM)AHill Wrote: I guess the real question is how much will the OP handle the ruler?  A finish that stands up to frequent handling will be different than one that just preserves the look.
Absolutely...If it is to be returned to service, I would finish it with lacquer..
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Before reading the additional posts, I applied two coats of turpentine, with generous amounts of warm sunlight between coats. It really looks good. I will not be returning it to service.

My Dad told about my great uncle being a cabinet maker, and that is the type of ruler he always used. One of his claims to fame was a commission by a local brewery to build bars for local taverns after prohibition. Too bad none of the family knew where is work ended up.
I use this type of ruler all the time. I prefer it over a tape measure.