"Un-believable" handplane tip
Might be a technique that you would use or see practical, but I could see folks using that method to make small round pieces if they were lacking a lathe.
No, I think you and Ahill missed the point.

Tom
Tom,

There's a difference between doable and being practical . That's why I use a handplane and not a chisel if I want to flatten a board.

Or, use a drill press to do some turning in an emergency if my lathe is not working.

Or, use a chisel instead of a screwdriver with a sharpened end to pare dovetails. (Wait, a screwdriver tip was just born!)

Simon
Ever watch how Ishitanii makes his dowel pins?
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
I'm afraid not...but I feel confident that if it's slow and labor-intensive, he wouldn't use it to make 100 or 200 dowel pins, the kind of number of pens woodturners whom I personally know have turned over their years of making pens as gifts.

Simon

Ps I should add that I have given away a lot more than 200 turned pens and pencils as a practical (not doable!) woodturner.
In Medieval times, arrow shafts were made starting with square stock, and rounding with a plane. Of course, they used a jig with a v groove along the length to hold the shaft as they planed it round. If I was forced to make a pen with plane, I would use the jig over clamping the plane upside down, but could do as described in tip rather easily.
rather easily....Have you read the actual tip, Scoony?

A typical pen blank is 2-1/4" long about 1/2" to 3/4" wide. Rounding a square blank with your bare hand on a plane mounted upside down is easy? You rock!

Simon
(07-23-2023, 07:36 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: Tom,

There's a difference between doable and being practical  . That's why I use a handplane and not a chisel if I want to flatten a board.

Or, use a drill press to do some turning in an emergency if my lathe is not working.

Or, use a chisel instead of a screwdriver with a sharpened end to pare dovetails. (Wait, a screwdriver tip was just born!)

Simon

(That's why I use a hand plane). give me break  Looks like your I have all the answers , which only I can have, attitude is showing. 

Tom
(07-24-2023, 02:14 PM)tablesawtom Wrote: (That's why I use a hand plane). give me break  Looks like your I have all the answers , which only I can have, attitude is showing. 

Tom

Just Simon being Simon.....

Lock up Simon in a Room with Warren  and Derek Cohen.....and see who emerges....
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Bandit...you made my day...putting me high up there with those two seasoned hand tool woodworkers.

But I agree with Tom that I do have an attitude ....of telling it how it is. Skilled (and confident) woodworkers are usually like that, allow me to say.

Simon