Wood Chippers
I didn't know whether to post here or in power tools.

Can anyone recommend a good wood chipper?  I am, of course, looking for a consumer version, not one of the trailer mounted types that the lawn care pros use.  Most of the reviews for the consumer versions have a significant number of negative ratings (clogs, or won't feed a 3 inch branch, or something).  I typically trust the negative reviews more than the positive reviews.  If the entire category of consumer wood chippers is basically over-hyped, I'd rather not buy one that is destined to become a boat anchor.  I will have reasonably frequent need for it, so I'd rather not rent but I suppose I could go that route if I really had to.  I'm willing to spend some coin, but not the multi thousand dollar price tag of the pro versions.

Thanks,
Mark
Mark in Sugar Land, TX
(07-31-2023, 12:04 PM)MarkSLSmith Wrote: I didn't know whether to post here or in power tools.

Can anyone recommend a good wood chipper?  I am, of course, looking for a consumer version, not one of the trailer mounted types that the lawn care pros use.  Most of the reviews for the consumer versions have a significant number of negative ratings (clogs, or won't feed a 3 inch branch, or something).  I typically trust the negative reviews more than the positive reviews.  If the entire category of consumer wood chippers is basically over-hyped, I'd rather not buy one that is destined to become a boat anchor.  I will have reasonably frequent need for it, so I'd rather not rent but I suppose I could go that route if I really had to.  I'm willing to spend some coin, but not the multi thousand dollar price tag of the pro versions.

Thanks,
Mark

Are there any "consumer" grade chippers that are rated for 3" branches?

The problem is that a real chipper has either a very thick and heavy disc with blades or a drum with the blades on it.  Those weigh hundreds of pounds.  If they don't have that mass, they stop easily with relatively little resistance.

If you're feeling dangerous, look for an old Asplundh chuck and duck - they can be had for $2000 or less.
What about buying a consumer grade one for he light stuff, which I'm guessing is most of the work...and then rent the big ones when needed?
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I have a DR Chipper that is about 10 my years old. It will chip up to three-inch branches, but there cannot be any crotches because of the opening is small to the disc. 
Also, this is made with very weak-brittle metal that has a tendency of cracking and needs to be welded and braced. 
If I had to do it over again, I would buy a Mackissic.
(08-01-2023, 04:57 AM)fredhargis Wrote: What about buying a consumer grade one for he light stuff, which I'm guessing is most of the work...and then rent the big ones when needed?

Indeed, this is what I had in mind.   I'm talking about brush, not logs.  I just don't want to spend my retirement hauling brush hither and yon.   Pull the chipper up to the brush pile, make it disappear, then carry the chips to the compost/mulch pile.

Most of the consumer versions claim up to a 3 inch branch (a few even claim 4 inch) but then the reviews often disagree with this specification.  

Thanks,
Mark
Mark in Sugar Land, TX
(08-01-2023, 04:57 AM)fredhargis Wrote: What about buying a consumer grade one for he light stuff, which I'm guessing is most of the work...and then rent the big ones when needed?

I forgot to add, if it's a 4 inch branch, it's headed to the firewood stack.  So I really am only talking about the small stuff.  However, the small stuff greatly dominates (at least by volume).
Mark in Sugar Land, TX
(08-01-2023, 06:51 AM)woodworker501 Wrote: I have a DR Chipper that is about 10 my years old. It will chip up to three-inch branches, but there cannot be any crotches because of the opening is small to the disc. 
Also, this is made with very weak-brittle metal that has a tendency of cracking and needs to be welded and braced. 

Thanks, that's the kind of information I'm looking for.  I was unaware of this company and they look interesting.
Mark in Sugar Land, TX
(08-01-2023, 06:51 AM)woodworker501 Wrote: I have a DR Chipper that is about 10 my years old. It will chip up to three-inch branches, but there cannot be any crotches because of the opening is small to the disc. 

I also have a DR Chipper/Shredder...I sprung for the Pro XL501.  It is a beast compared to anything you see for sale in Lowes or Home Depot.  The steel is much heavier gauge and fully welded and it has a heavy flywheel for chipping.  The chipper can handle up to a 5" branch, but it does have to be a straight branch with no real "crookedness".  The shredder chute can handle up to 1.5" I believe and does all the brush and wild branched and leaves.  It's a pretty heavy unit and can easily be towed around the yard with a garden tractor.
I thought I posted this but don't see it. Anyway, the little units from HD or Lowes are good for light brush or leaves and that is about it. My dad has a PTO powered 6" one, for practical purposes unless the log is very straight it is good up to about 5" and even then you have to cut off most of the branches. It doesn't have the power of the big boys that will drag the entire top of a tree into the shredder. I can't speak for the DR ones. You might find a mid-range self-powered one at an equipment dealer.

I have a Craftsman-branded chipper shredder.  It was given to me by a friend who needed it gone.  It has a 5HP B&S motor and runs well.  I have no idea how old it is; I'm guessing it's from the 1990s.  I took it on hoping I could make mulch from various branches and other debris.

This machine has the heavy disc and one port for chopping up branches and another, much wider port for brush.

The manual says it will do 3" branches.  Ummmmm...not so fast.  Anything more than 2" is a no-go and even that is a real challenge.

The brush side is a flail-type operation and the discharge chute is easily clogged.  Sharpening the cutters on the branch side requires disassembly.  On the plus side, I can easily sharpen the cutters myself.

It's such a slow process to get rid of stuff that I haven't used the machine this year, and I may sell it.  

I'm fortunate that I have a convenient spot on our property where I dump organic stuff like branches, brush, leaves, and such.  I just pile it there and let nature take care of it.
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")