Convert Outside Shallow Round Box to Outlet
Hi All,

Quick question.  I'm wondering if anyone has actually done this.  I have a patio on the back of my house.  It has a horrendous flood light fixture on the side of the house.  Following SWMBO's orders, I am installing string lights.  Problem is, I need an outlet to plug into.  I know they make some light fixtures that also include a GFCI outlet in them, and I might be forced to go that route...the issue is they are all so physically large that it will look funny in this location.  Has anyone ever converted a shallow round work box into a plugable outlet?  There are a bunch of "stories" on the INET, but I haven't found someone who actually has done this...

Thanks for any help!
You would want something like this

and then get a cover plate that allows an outlet to mount to a round box.

May not save you money, but could you install a GFCI breaker in the panel? You might be able to get away with a smaller outlet/box...
This is not the prettiest solution but seems to fit your needs combined with an extension mentioned earlier in this thread and an in-use cover:
Thank you all.


Forum Jump:

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Product Recommendations

Here are some supplies and tools we find essential in our everyday work around the shop. We may receive a commission from sales referred by our links; however, we have carefully selected these products for their usefulness and quality.