Cleaning Spray Gun
I have an electric paint sprayer. I have always thought when you clean these, you need to add the solvent of the paint you used into the can, and clean the spraygun spraying that solvent out from the can. But when I read the manual of my machine, it says after every use, spray water out from the can, and clean with the included tools (needle, brush). 

So what is the proper method then? Use only water? That sounds strange for me when paints with strong type of solvents having been used.
What does the manual say about using paint based on solvents other than water? Perhaps that particular sprayer is only intended to be used with water based paints?
(08-25-2023, 07:05 PM)Willyou Wrote: What does the manual say about using paint based on solvents other than water? Perhaps that particular sprayer is only intended to be used with water based paints?

No, it is for various paints. It tells about the recommended tip for various kind of paints, not just water based. But in the cleaning section the only direction is:

1. Spray out water from the can after every use. 
2. Clean with the included tools (needle and brush). 

No other thing mentioned about what to do when you used solvent based. Just this.  

How do you do it usually on yours?
(08-25-2023, 08:09 PM)Bencuri Wrote: No, it is for various paints. It tells about the recommended tip for various kind of paints, not just water based. But in the cleaning section the only direction is:

1. Spray out water from the can after every use. 
2. Clean with the included tools (needle and brush). 

No other thing mentioned about what to do when you used solvent based. Just this.  

How do you do it usually on yours?

Logic tells you that putting water into the cup that has a solvent based product in it is going to lead to grief.  Use whatever solvent is required to thin the product to flush and clean the gun and its components after you break it down.  

John
So. Two different sections of the manual are in conflict. These days, that along with strange translations are not unusual. You need to decide which is correct. You don't say much about the sprayer and how it is made. If it is all metal, then other solvents are likely OK to use. If it is all plastic I would be skeptical and do some further checking.
That has to be in error, and I suspect the translation problems that wiilyou alluded too are the culprit. For solvent finishes, you aren't going to do anything but make the gun inoperable if you use only water.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Sounds like the manual writer didn't have a clue
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(08-26-2023, 11:34 AM)Willyou Wrote: So. Two different sections of the manual are in conflict. These days, that along with strange translations are not unusual. You need to decide which is correct. You don't say much about the sprayer and how it is made. If it is all metal, then other solvents are likely OK to use. If it is all plastic I would be skeptical and do some further checking.

The sprayer is sold in a german supermarket chain, it is its own brand possibly Chineese made, some cheap stuff. I checked the manual of a similar product of a different brand, that tells much more details about cleaning. It says I should clean with the solvent of the paint I use.
(08-29-2023, 09:04 AM)Bencuri Wrote: ...possibly Chinese made, some cheap stuff...

I would be very careful about using solvents that might dissolve plastic such as lacquer thinner.
(08-29-2023, 09:41 AM)Willyou Wrote: I would be very careful about using solvents that might dissolve plastic such as lacquer thinner.

I reread the manual again, but it says nothing about avoiding such things. But, what it prohibits is using things with solvents that are flammable under 21 °C. Which solvents are like that?