Sawstop question
Rather than unplug everything at the end of the workshop time, or just when a storm is coming, is there a master switch that can be used to protect all tools in the shop from such power surges?
Since some tools are 120v and some 220v then maybe something like a sub panel with a master breaker? So would turning off the master then sufficiently protect all tools powered off that panel?
Ray
I have no idea about whether a breaker would stop a surge, but I was told by an IBEW electrician that it probably would not. He went on to say that certain disconnects like the ones you see on outside AC units provide a gap large enough that a high voltage spike probably wouldn't jump it. Like everything in life, that was his opinion.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Using a breaker as a switch is also not recommended.

They aren’t designed to be turned off and on like a switch and repeated cycles will degrade their holding ability causing them to trip at a lower current.

Not saying you can’t do it, but be aware you will shorten its service life
(08-30-2023, 09:37 AM)2link2 Wrote: Doesn't make sense, if your switch is off how can current jump the switch contacts ?

The ground (green wire usually) isn't switched. I live in a development with underground utilities which I imagine helps some. Just speculating here but if a surge came in via the neutral conductor, the neutral and ground are joined at the service entrance.
(09-08-2023, 08:27 AM)JDuke Wrote: Using a breaker as a switch is also not recommended.

They aren’t designed to be turned off and on like a switch and repeated cycles will degrade their holding ability causing them to trip at a lower current.

Not saying you can’t do it, but be aware you will shorten its service life

hmm - maybe use a big disconnect - as seen in a Frankenstein movie?
Laugh
Ray
After losing an hvac compressor/condensor (outdoor unit) to lightning in my house in TX, I opted for a whole house ground/surge solution. They are pretty simple to install and according to everything I read at the time work incredibly well to essentially shortcut the surge and be a sink so it never traverses into the house. About 150-200 for the unit, good for 2 surges/strikes. Think of it like delicious candy for the lightning kid, the most attractive and tasty thing in the house.

That was 4 years before moving and never had an issue following - though we did hve power issues many times…( tx grid, know what I mean?). Reasonably cheap bit of insurance. Siemens FS140 was the unit I got, but best to do your own research to ensure you have what you need. That unit was good for 2 strikes/surges and had lights so I could glance at it and see if I lost one.
Every day find time to appreciate life. It is far too short and 'things' happen. RIP Willem
I am considering surge protection for the house. We had a standby generator installed about 6 years ago and I mistakenly thought it provided surge protection. I then learned it does not, so I may have that added. I was unaware the surge protectors were a consumable item, though that's makes sense. I do have to bump that up on my to-do list.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
If it can jump an air gap from the clouds to the ground a small gap in a switch means nothing. I have lost plenty of "dumb" appliances to lightning. All my tools get unplugged.
maybe a non fused 3 phase disconect switch you would have the third leg to disconect the ground
(08-26-2023, 11:51 AM)fredhargis Wrote: I sincerely hope this doesn't turn into what most Sawstop topics do...that is: the pro/con argument. Anyway, we had a fairly rough thunderstorm 2 nights ago with lots of lightning. Normally when this is in the weather forecast I'll unplug my SS and a few other tools that have some electronic controls on them just in case we get hit with a surge. In this case the storm wwasn't even a mention in the late news weather and i left those tools plugged in. So far I haven't found any damage so I lucked out. But that brings me to my question: do you guys with Sawstops (and other electronic controled tools) unplug them in severe weather? This is a curiosity question on my part....I'll continue to be safe rather than sorry.

I have always kept my sawstop and my older powermatic unplugged when not in use.  But I also move them from their position where I do my woodworking and place them well roll them out of the way so I can move them to make my garage space larger.  Ergo, I will roll them into a specific spot when I am using them but when I am not I will unplug and then move.  Even if I kept them there I would still unplug them.  That is just me being extra cautious.