dark finish
I am trying to get a real dark color finish what should I use something darker than walnut if possible on oak wood?
I'm not an expert, but based on my experience, it is difficult without a toner. I recently built a desk of white oak that needed a dark finish. I started with a dark water based dye (Transtint dissolved in water). On top of that, I applied a couple of light coats of dark shellac. Then a couple of coats of water based poly. You could do something similar with a commercial toner.
You might also try staining the oak with a solution that reacts with the tannin in the wood. One way is to soak steel wool in vinegar for a while. Then filter the solution and apply it to the wood. It will turn almost black (ebonize). https://www.finewoodworking.com/project-...ing-wood-2

(09-04-2023, 05:23 PM)BB-BOB Wrote: I am trying to get a real dark color finish what should I use something darker than walnut if possible on oak wood?

Oak is one of the easiest woods to stain, and dark is no problem.  These cabinets are white oak:

[Image: AIL4fc_Hv8RcnqVnIlszZXuISaCDtCDuYCfoyqTs...authuser=0]

I did these cabinets with SW's BAC Wiping Stain.  Great stuff.  But GF's Waterborne stains work very well, too.  I would not use any of Minwax's traditional oil based stains, however, if you want dark.  I've never gotten satisfactory results with them.  

The black frames of these cabinets are ash with GF's Waterborne stain.  White to black.  

[Image: AIL4fc9Y6lxS9EEmqvHqsNjQVnU5UQ9nLzVTHBFD...authuser=0]

John