Attaching Table Top
I am trying to finish up a small bed side table for my wife.  The size is 16" x 21".  I'm curious what methods you have used to attach the top to the base?  Especially interested if you have tried different methods and what you finally settled on.

Still have to trim the top, add edge beading and string the drawers.

Lonnie
I like the figure 8 for attaching the top to the base. I have used the "Z" thingies that you use a biscuit slot. The 8's are plenty strong and easier to install.
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor
Like lift mechanic, I've used the figure 8 and the z clips. Personally I find both are good and I probably use the z clips more, but that's only because I have a lot more of them on hand. I use a biscuit joiner to cut the slots for the z clips. In your case I'm guessing that the field in the center is ply? If true you don't have much to worry about, movement will be minimal.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(09-12-2023, 10:39 PM)Mr Eddie Wrote: I am trying to finish up a small bed side table for my wife.  The size is 16" x 21".  I'm curious what methods you have used to attach the top to the base?  Especially interested if you have tried different methods and what you finally settled on.

Still have to trim the top, add edge beading and string the drawers.

Lonnie

I prefer the z clips into a biscuit slot.
I use cleats or the figure eights.  Of course the cleats are/is the cheapest method.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Figure 8 or the Z clips.
Good looking table you've made there.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

It appears that the top may be veneer over some kind of substrate. If the substrate is plywood or mdf or some other stable material, the method of fastening is less critical as seasonal movement will be less of a factor. In any case, all of the methods mentioned by others are excellent. One other factor to consider is the fact that a table like that is often grasped by the table top edges to lift and move. Make sure the fasteners are strong enough and numerous enough to withstand the load should that occur.
Another vote for figure-8 fasteners.  Super easy and quick to install.
Semper fi,
Brad

Thanks for all of the replies.  The substrate is quarter sawn Anigre.  I don't think there will be much movement.  I have used QS anigre in the past and it has proven to be very stable.

Lonnie
Figure 8's. Use them all of the time
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry