I'd rather buy it...
...than make the 'butcher block' top for this little kitchen work table Jean wanted.  I bought some countertop from IKEA 20 years ago that was beech and reasonably affordable.   Don't see the beech anymore, and I'd be in for well over $300 for the two pieces of bamboo mock up I'd need... and I'd still have to cut and work it.   So off the lumberyard I go for some beech or birch or maple... which ever is cheapest today.  And a couple bottles of Titebond Ultimate.  Figure I'll be all in from prolly $150 and a few hours of retiree time.  
Rolleyes

You can get decent birch tops from Menards  and add to them if needed. That's what I do.
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop
(09-18-2023, 01:04 PM)Woodshop Wrote: You can get decent birch tops from Menards  and add to them if needed. That's what I do.

If you happen to live in an area that has a Menards. East coast doesn't.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
What is the titebond for?

Don't you need to allow for differential expansion/contraction of the top vs the frame?
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(09-18-2023, 07:25 PM)iclark Wrote: What is the titebond for?

Don't you need to allow for differential expansion/contraction of the top vs the frame?

I'm gluing up a quantity of strips for the top, since I obviously didn't look at Menards.  Thought I had, because that's my go-to place for stuff nobody else usually has!

Too late now... I'm in for $138 plus time.  Could have been finished today for $70 more.  Sure woulda looked at least.  
Uhoh
The table looks really nice.  Should look great with a butcher block top.  

John