Western Red Cedar
I will be making a 1½" x 11" x 5' bartop made of Western Red Cedar to go on my BBQ shelter. Because of mobility issues, I had the help of seven friends and relatives, and want to route their names in this bartop. The void in the letters will be filled with a resin. To preserve it's color I want to stain it.  My take is to cut and fill the letters, then some sort of primer, then a couple of coats some finish. This is all new to me so I am open to any advice.
Bill
(09-24-2023, 11:02 PM)GEB Wrote: I will be making a 1½" x 11" x 5' bartop made of Western Red Cedar to go on my BBQ shelter. Because of mobility issues, I had the help of seven friends and relatives, and want to route their names in this bartop. The void in the letters will be filled with a resin. To preserve it's color I want to stain it.  My take is to cut and fill the letters, then some sort of primer, then a couple of coats some finish. This is all new to me so I am open to any advice.
Bill

Is this going to be out of the weather or exposed?  Why would you need a primer if you plan to stain and clear coat it?  Or am I misreading it?

John
(09-25-2023, 12:18 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Is this going to be out of the weather or exposed?  Why would you need a primer if you plan to stain and clear coat it?  Or am I misreading it?

John
 John, a while back you discouraged me from using Poplar, Thank you.
The bartop will be exposed to the weather. Here in Chico, CA there is moderate rain most of the winter, no snow, and summer temp may peak at 110° 3-4 days 2-3 times. Humidity ranges from 33% today to low 70% in the winter.
Primer? I picked that up somewhere, doesn’t make sense so I’m not pushing it.
Here is a pic from the "Poplar" posting.

Bill

Attached Files Image(s)