How to remove vinyl mastic from concrete?
Install Schluter ditra membrane over existing floor and tile?
Thought about that, but it will raise the finished floor level too high making a trip hazard.
VH07V  
If you go the lacquer thinner route, be very careful. One spark, even a static discharge can light up the whole room.
(09-27-2023, 02:27 PM)EightFingers Wrote: Thought about that, but it will raise the finished floor level too high making a trip hazard.

if ya dont have a hammer drill, rent one and get a floor scraper attachment. the sawsall and oscillating saw dont have the weight and power behind them that a hammer drill does. you might have some luck with a diamond wheel on an angle grinder but would want a crapton of cfms of air filtration with it.
You might consider one of these machines, I rented one some years back and found it to do a good job. Make sure you have your ear protection with you if you choose to do this.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
This (https://www.tools4flooring.com/national-...gKYBvD_BwE) will get 5-10k sq.ft of tile and/or carpet up in a short day. We typically do a follow-up pass with a freshly sharpened blade to remove excessive adhesive, especially if it's sticky. The whole concept is a lot of down pressure with a sharp blade.

We do a quick pass with one of these (https://www.husqvarnaconstruction.com/us...s/pg830rc/) running 60/80 grit diamond segments to prep for tile. Just as a reference to scale, those handles are almost 6' off the floor. When there's thousands of sq. ft., the operator sits in an office chair with the remote in their lap listening to music on hearing protection. The same machine, progressing up thru 3000 git, will make the floor as smooth and shiny as a granite countertop. FYI there's also a hepa vac attached, drawing 40a @480v 3Ph..

So that's how the serious Pros do it. How does it apply to your project? We use large (as in too big to carry with one hand) concrete chipper with a scraper (instead of a chisel) attachment to do areas where the big boys don't fit. A sharp 5-6" wide ice chopper with 2 concrete blocks for weight might scrape up the glue depending on how dry it is. If it's really dry or mostly removed, a 5" or 7" segmented diamond cup wheel on a grinder will do fine. (The concrete dust helps to prevent clogging the diamond.) The grinder will need a dust shroud. If you don't have a Hepa vac, wear a well fitted mask and the run the exhaust out the window. I have found that solvents, even water, makes the job harder. The dryer the glue is, the easier it comes up.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
I had the same issue on my basement floor. Previous owner had glued sheet vinyl to the concrete floor.
I resorted to using coarse grit sanding discs on my angle grinder. It worked well, but was very messy. My house was still vacant at the time (had not yet moved in) and it was the basement, not the kitchen, so maybe you won't want to use this technique. On the plus side an angle grinder is a lot lighter and cheaper than renting a heavy machine. On the con side, besides the uncontained dust, it's less desirable the more area you have to do. I only had about 15 sf to do.
Should go without mention, but whether you're using a chemical stripper or sanding, where a respirator and ventilate the house well.
Ray
This job is about 500 sqft. so a little too big for a grinder and since we’re living here, might be a bit dusty.

Fred, I did use one of those scraper a few years ago and it worked great, but it won’t get under the stuff I have now.

MstrCarpenter, those machines are too big for this job and too heavy for me to lift anyway. It’s fun thinking if I actually had one of those, I would be done by now!
VH07V  
(09-29-2023, 12:41 PM)EightFingers Wrote: This job is about 500 sqft. so a little too big for a grinder and since we’re living here, might be a bit dusty.

Fred, I did use one of those scraper a few years ago and it worked great, but it won’t get under the stuff I have now.

MstrCarpenter, those machines are too big for this job and too heavy for me to lift anyway. It’s fun thinking if I actually had one of those, I would be done by now!

500 sq. ft. is a small job for those machines, but not necessarily too small. I would contact contact rental centers and/or concrete polishing companies in your area to check pricing. A smaller (20") Lavina floor grinder with the weight kit would get that job done in a few hours. The edges (about 2") may/can be done with a cup wheel and shroud.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
If you want it gone , you'll need to find someone that does shot blasting.