My Yard is Depressing -- Literally
(10-06-2023, 10:04 AM)vernonator Wrote: We had a ground hog infestation when we moved to our acerage 17yrs ago. I acquired "sulfer bombs" from Amazon (I think) and they were very effective. The smoke settles in the low spots and suffocates the little buggers, it also allows you to find their escape hole (they always have one). I would stand by the escape hole with a .22 while my son dropped the sulfur bombs in the main entry. Once you popped one in the escape hatch they hunkered down an died in their den. Very satisfying....

Yeah, sometimes I'd wait at the other end of the hole with a shotgun, boy were they surprised!  And to a vegetable farmer, its more than satisfying - as they are literally eating your profit!!  After my "farming days" (which lasted two seasons, and after doing stoop labor in the fields I was in the best shape of my life) I regularly shot them at my house along a tree line with a .177 pellet gun - head shots, followed by a coup de grace with a shovel to put them down quickly.

I wish I could do that now with the deer that are constantly eating my landscaping - deer are rats with hooves.....
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
If near your house I'd skip the smoke. Itll find any holes in your foundation too.

As said above, shocked stuff in the hole. If it doesn't move in a few days, its not used. Fill the hole. What kind of soil do you have?
Matt

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.
-Jack Handy

I found a 4” hole on the end of our drain field once.
I was mowing the grass and ran over what I thought was a root.
When I pulled the mower back, the root uncoiled, lifted a rattle toward me and slithered off away from me.
It was a diamondback about 5’ long!
It went down a roughly 4” hole on the other end of the drain field.
Ya never know!
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.