End vise ???
Ready to mortise the base into the top of my workbench. Based it on Schwartz's Anarchist Workbench. Now I'm trying to decide on an end vise. Had a tail vise on my old bench. It was OK but I don't like giving up 18" of bashable area on my top. I still have my first face vice which was a failure. It was a Veritas regular front vise, but I put a 20" x 5" jaw in it. It was not suited for that, wracked horribly and didn't have any grip.

My thought is this: cut the jaw down within an inch of the metal on the bench front side. Then my dog for holding work on the front of the bench will sit between the guide rod and the screw. Let the other end run out just past the middle of the bench. Would still need a 5" tall jaw to match my top but the heavy force would be in the vice, not out on an end. Thoughts?

I really want a wagon vice but after buying a benchcrafted leg vise and criss cross I feel pretty poor. I thought of turning my tail vise from Veritas into a wagon but the screw would run backwards. Any thoughts or ideas on that?
Take a look at the Veritas inset vise. It's a smaller wagon vise that's easier to install. Might get you to where you want to be.

Cliff
‘The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence
Charles Bukowski
I think vice types are personal preference, what I like and how I work are not necessarily a good match for someone else.
But as far as work slipping in your vice, a piece of leather rubber cemented to the face works wonders in holding the work pice, it will fully eliminate slipping.
Bruce.
I built my own wagon vise…a 1” wooden screw or metal acme screw and a nut are really all the specialized parts you need.
Dave Arbuckle was kind enough to create a Sketchup model of my WorkMate benchtop: http://www.arbolloco.com/sketchup/MauleSkinnerBenchtop.skp
I agree that vises are a personal preference.  I build my bench many years ago, made a wagon vise with a large metal screw and a nut.   I used it for the first years, but it has been many years since I used it -  now I plane against stops at the end and far side, and nearly never use my wagon vise.
I usually use by Veritas inset vise.

But there are times that it is easier/better to use a does foot/planestop and a holdfast or two.
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
I'm going to rework my bench over the winter. It's the one featured in Woodsmith #50, is 20+ years old, has served me well but is kind of "tired." I like the face vise on the left side (I'm a righty also) but want to replace the wagon vise on the right end. Seems like the long screw and handle are always getting in the way. After some research I settled on this one from Hovarter. I've also spoken with Len Hovarter (the inventor and owner) a couple of times and a nicer and more accomodating guy you will not find.

With this setup you do not have to have a traditional dog block. You can just drill round holes in the benchtop and use that style of dogs (Lee Valley has some nice options.) 

Nice looking bench and good luck the rest of the way!

Doug
Hmmm..

Nutting fancy..been working quite well for me....there IS a Crochet down on the far end...comes in handy, for the longer stuff..YMMV
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
If I were building another bench, the end vise would either be a twin screw or Moxon.
No room for any twin screw....size of shop won't allow it...
As for a Moxxon...

Have no need for one..

Doing just fine without one...and can be set up way much faster, too.
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that