some CNC upgrades
(11-15-2023, 11:40 AM)APZ Wrote: My new Onefinity should arrive early in the new year and I’ll get a spindle for it but I’m on the fence between water and air cooled.  The simplicity of air cooled is appealing but I love having less noise.  Are you happy with your choice of water cooled?  My dust collector is in another room so it’s not TOO loud near the CNC.  The Mikita router was pretty loud on my previous CNC.  I hate wearing hearing protection.

You will still need hearing protection when the job is cutting.  I have a spindle and when it's running there is very little noise but the minute the bit strarts cutting it is almost as loud as the router.
(11-14-2023, 05:19 AM)fixtureman Wrote: can't you program your VFD and add an input switch to your controller

As far as I can tell no.  At least not on the cheaper VFDs like the one I (and alot of other companies include with their water cooled spindle) have.  I've read the higher end Hitachi and Omron can but not on the one I have.   With these VFDs you can add a switch to override the modbus control (after pausing the toolpath of course).  I'm no EE and maybe I'm not reading properly but as far as I can tell I can't.

(11-14-2023, 09:07 AM)jteneyck Wrote: Not being able to stop the spindle on long 3D carves would be reason enough to go to manual control, even if it meant completely separating it from the controller.  That wouldn't be convenient from where you have the VFD mounted, but if it came to that, I'd move it.  A side benefit would be being able to change speed during use, something you can't do with the stock controller.  

My primary goal of going to a spindle would be for 3D carves.  As you said, it will be much quieter when doing finishing passes, which is the bulk of the time.  

John

Yah I'm going to live with it as is for now but if I find I have to pause it I may switch to manual control.  

(11-15-2023, 11:40 AM)APZ Wrote: My new Onefinity should arrive early in the new year and I’ll get a spindle for it but I’m on the fence between water and air cooled.  The simplicity of air cooled is appealing but I love having less noise.  Are you happy with your choice of water cooled?  My dust collector is in another room so it’s not TOO loud near the CNC.  The Mikita router was pretty loud on my previous CNC.  I hate wearing hearing protection.

It depends on the type of cuts you mostly do.  If your doing a relatively deep pocket or profile cut then the sound of the bit actually routing will drown out any benefits of a water cooled spindle.  But as I said if you're doing a 3D finishing pass then sound difference is very noticeable.  In my particular case I'm using a 1/16" tapered ball nose bit with a 4-8% pass over.  In that case I'm barely removing anything per pass.  And for me it's that situation where the cnc is running for several hours and often literally days at time.

Check out Sola Fide Designs.  One man operation with products specifically for 1F machines.  He sells an air cooled spindle system, the complete package.  I've seen a video of it running but can't seem to find it.  It's really quiet.  Contact Nick and I'm sure he will send it to you.  Also, and this addresses Juss's issue, the Sola Fide VFD has a manual control mode that you can switch to while running the program, and then switch back to the controller if desired, without interruption either way.  PWN CNC sells both air and water cooled spindles for 1F machines.  Here's a video of one of their air-cooled units running.  As you will hear, they make very little noise.  For 2d and 3d roughing passes, the tool is going to make far more noise than the spindle.  For 3d finishing passes, the most noise is likely to come from the spindle, but it's very, very low. 

Air cooled is a major advantage to me.  If I buy one, it's likely to be from one of the two companies above, since the German option is way beyond what I can justify.  

John
Looks sweet - have the WC pwn 2.2kw awaiting installation on my 1f jman as well.
Every day find time to appreciate life. It is far too short and 'things' happen. RIP Willem
(11-15-2023, 03:48 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Check out Sola Fide Designs.  One man operation with products specifically for 1F machines.  He sells an air cooled spindle system, the complete package.  I've seen a video of it running but can't seem to find it.  It's really quiet.  Contact Nick and I'm sure he will send it to you.  Also, and this addresses Juss's issue, the Sola Fide VFD has a manual control mode that you can switch to while running the program, and then switch back to the controller if desired, without interruption either way.  PWN CNC sells both air and water cooled spindles for 1F machines.  Here's a video of one of their air-cooled units running.  As you will hear, they make very little noise.  For 2d and 3d roughing passes, the tool is going to make far more noise than the spindle.  For 3d finishing passes, the most noise is likely to come from the spindle, but it's very, very low. 

Air cooled is a major advantage to me.  If I buy one, it's likely to be from one of the two companies above, since the German option is way beyond what I can justify.  

John
Yeah, it's pretty quiet.  I have a water chiller for my laser and that's not silent either.  I love the simplicity of the air cooled.  I'm having a tough time deciding water cooled vs air cooled.  
Laugh  

The Festool vacuum is quiet as well.  I'm tempted to get a Fein for my CNC just for noise.  Any of you guys use a Festool/Fein vacuum as opposed to a dust collector for CNC dust collection; can it keep up?
I was using 2 feins for vac hold down and a HF dust collector with a thien separator for dust collection.
(11-16-2023, 06:53 AM)APZ Wrote: The Festool vacuum is quiet as well.  I'm tempted to get a Fein for my CNC just for noise.  Any of you guys use a Festool/Fein vacuum as opposed to a dust collector for CNC dust collection; can it keep up?

In my experience they can't keep up with the dust collection.  I initially had a CT36 hooked up to the dust boot and it just left way too much dust for my liking.  I don't think they have enough CFMs to accommodate the larger opening of the dust boot.  Night and day difference when I switched to the Rockler DC I have now.  Next upgrade for me is to add a canister to make emptying the bag easier and better filtration.  I can still see some dust in the air around the bag which me think that it's not capturing all the really fine dust.
(11-16-2023, 06:53 AM)APZ Wrote: Yeah, it's pretty quiet.  I have a water chiller for my laser and that's not silent either.  I love the simplicity of the air cooled.  I'm having a tough time deciding water cooled vs air cooled.  
Laugh  

The Festool vacuum is quiet as well.  I'm tempted to get a Fein for my CNC just for noise.  Any of you guys use a Festool/Fein vacuum as opposed to a dust collector for CNC dust collection; can it keep up?

A have a Fein Turbo 1 on my 1F with a Dust Deputy in front of it and it works just fine on the stock SuckIt pro dust boot.  It's something around 150 cfm.   That's all you are going to get through that 2.? diameter port on the SuckIt anyway, regardless of what you have hooked up to it.  You would have to go to a 4" boot for a DC to be of any benefit. Whatever few chips it doesn't get doesn't matter to me.  And I say chips, not dust, because if you're getting dust your chip load is too low.  Dust extractors are quieter, cost far less to run, and return HEPA quality air to your shop.  If you are old, it probably doesn't matter what the return air quality is unless you already have lung problems, but if you have 30 years or more to live it could make a big difference in your health down the road.  I run hour after hour with the Fein and it doesn't mind at all.  

If you are looking for really quiet then look at the Makita at 60 dB's I think.  The Fein I have is 66.  DC's are 80 at best, and usually more.  I wouldn't say the Fein is really quiet, but you can have a normal conversation with it running, something I can't even contemplate with my central DC running.

John
Yeah I have a 2hp Steel City collector with a Wynn nano filter so the air stays pretty clean, but it's noisy.  I never had a problem with it on my original Journeyman as it always did a great job of getting the vast majority of chips through a 2.5"  hose and suck it boot, but would prefer something less noisy if possible since it's directly below my son's bedroom and runs for hours.  I was going to upgrade the boot to a 4", but I'll probably stick with a smaller size and get a Fein/Makita/Festool down the road.