Grizzly recalling >21,000 wood lathes
I also posted this upstairs in Woodworking.

From Family Handyman

Quote:According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) website, three models from Grizzly are subject to the recall:
  • Grizzly Industrial Wood Lathe, Model Number G0584;
  • Grizzly Industrial Wood Lathe, Model Number G0462;
  • Grizzly Shop Fox Wood Lathe, Model Number W1758.
All are variable-speed, electric wood lathes with a green or white bed, cast iron legs, an extendable tool rest and a swivel headstock.

Why Are Grizzly Lathes Being Recalled?
According to the CPSC: “The wood lathes cutting tool can break, posing an injury hazard due to projectiles that can strike the user and bystanders, and a laceration hazard to the user who could come into direct contact with the cutting tool.”

So far, Grizzly has received four reports of the cutting tool breaking, and one reported injury.

What To Do If You Have a Recalled Grizzly Lathe
If you own one of the recalled lathe models, the CPSC urges you to stop using it immediately. Then, contact Grizzly by email at recalls@grizzly.com or phone at (888) 615-7944.
Grizzly will provide you a free repair kit including an upgraded faceplate, tool rest and base. The company will cover shipping. You must repair the lathe yourself or hire someone to do it.

A little bit more info on the FH website (including links).

If someone finds out what "wood lathe cutting tool" can break, please let us know.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
That makes no sense.

Frank
What does a new faceplate and tool rest have to do with the cutting tool? and which cutting tool? my non-grizzly bowl gouge? my shop made carbide tool? my woodriver parting tool?

(11-15-2023, 10:14 AM)crokett™ Wrote: What does a new faceplate and tool rest have to do with the cutting tool?  and which cutting tool? my non-grizzly bowl gouge?  my shop made carbide tool?  my woodriver parting tool?

yes

Laugh  sorry, but the confusion of this whole thing is bizarre.  
Winkgrin
Cynical me is wondering if people were using the tools incorrectly (too far off the rest, not having the tool on the rest, etc) and broke the tools and are blaming Grizzly. so grizzly is now doing this to try to avoid a lawsuit.

that definitely crossed my mind too . . . i need video evidence.  
Laugh
Keep in mind the description is coming from the Consumer Product Safety Commission so obviously they have no idea what they're talking about. I don't see anything on Grizzly's website about it. You'd think they'd want to get out in front of it and provide a decent description of the problem.
Frank
(11-15-2023, 01:49 PM)FrankAtl Wrote: You'd think they'd want to get out in front of it and provide a decent description of the problem.

Where I worked, the very moment "they" declared something to be a safety problem, real or only perceived, we were REQUIRED to stop working on that issue or any related one, and to never ever (I mean at all !!) even discuss it let alone write anything public about it. 100% of the problem solving guidance and external communication had to go through that problem resolution committee.

The nice Grizzly folks are probably bound by similar gag orders. After all, the management of all the corporations probably read the same magazines that tell them how they should run their companies.
We do segmented turning, not because it is easy, but because it is hard.
(11-15-2023, 10:09 PM)SceneryMaker Wrote: Where I worked, the very moment "they" declared something to be a safety problem, real or only perceived, we were REQUIRED to stop working on that issue or any related one, and to never ever (I mean at all !!) even discuss it let alone write anything public about it.  100% of the problem solving guidance and external communication had to go through that problem resolution committee.

The nice Grizzly folks are probably bound by similar gag orders.  After all, the management of all the corporations probably read the same magazines that tell them how they should run their companies.

That makes sense.
Frank
Someone on another forum was good enough to share this link:

https://www.grizzly.com/recalls

I did not ask him how he found it.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.