seeking plans for a good passive acoustic amplifier for cell phones
Back when LOML and I were still using flip phones, I used to see lots of posts about wooden passive acoustic amplifiers that would cradle and amplify smart phones. Now, they seem hard to find and I am wondering about making some as presents.

Does anyone have a pointer to a plan that they made and that worked well for them?

thanks
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(11-14-2023, 06:33 PM)iclark Wrote: Back when LOML and I were still using flip phones, I used to see lots of posts about wooden passive acoustic amplifiers that would cradle and amplify smart phones. Now, they seem hard to find and I am wondering about making some as presents.

Does anyone have a pointer to a plan that they made and that worked well for them?

thanks

I could be wrong, but I think there was one in Woodsmith a few years back.  Several plans on Etsy for a few $'s.  Search "passive acoustic amplifier cnc file".  

John
(11-14-2023, 07:47 PM)jteneyck Wrote: I could be wrong, but I think there was one in Woodsmith a few years back.  Several plans on Etsy for a few $'s.  Search "passive acoustic amplifier cnc file".  

John

Thanks for the pointers. I will check them out.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

My sister in law used to use a coffee mug and an amplifier and it worked really well. Could you turn a cup on the lathe?

Wood probably makes a difference. I might start with spruce or maple since that is what guitar tops and many violins, etc.

I might also guess that a narrow bottom and wider top will push the sound "out of the top" better. That could probably be a tapered cylinder or a straight wall outside tapered inside. Straight outside with a thicker wall at the bottom would probably cause less sound to travel through the wood and more out of the top???
As to their absence in the market... probably due to small, cheap and reasonable quality (as good as a phone speaker) Bluetooth devices.
Ivan,

Woodsmith did offer a free plan.  However, since their free plans only reach back three TV seasons, it's now in the "pay" category.

I didn't download that one when it was available.

Here's the link to the plans:  Smartphone Amp
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")
(11-16-2023, 02:53 PM)R Clark Wrote: Ivan,

Woodsmith did offer a free plan.  

Here's the link to the plans:  Smartphone Amp

Hah, I think I downloaded that plan along with a bunch of others when I was thinking about making them for gifts, yeah that never happened
Crazy
Just looked in my computer here at work and they are not on it, must be on the iPad at home.  I will try and remember to look when I get home.
Dave
"Amateur Putzing in Shop." Northern Wood on Norm 5/07

"Dave's shop is so small you have to go outside to turn around" Big Dave on my old shop
So I built a new shop.  (Picasa went away so did the link to the pictures)
Once I did the suggested google search, I found myself going down the rabbit hole on youtube.
Winkgrin

I found lots of different approaches to making one with different designs for phones with one speaker or 2.

Several places offered to sell the Woodsmith plans or, for a price, let me watch the season 13 episode where they made one.

After several attempts at searching, I did finally find the idex for Woodsmith magazine. The plan was in Woodsmith issue 232 August 2017. I used to have my lists of magazines on my shelf on a computer, but that computer died. I have not found the right back up drive yet to find the list. I guess I will actually have to figure out my magazine filing system.
Crazy

thanks to all.

Woodcraft plans:
https://www.woodcraft.com/blog_entries/p...-amplifier

Note that phones have continued to shift size, so you'll need to make some adjustments.