Another on-the-fly Joinery project
(Monday AM,  newly unemployed)

"Oh that Magic Feeling; Nowhere to Go"
    -   The Beatles;  You Never Give Me Your Money

A new project is now "in my head".... I'll see if I can make it work.

First cut, with sassafras aromas arising from the shiny vintage Atkins saw:

Chris
And we're off..................on another fine C. in Indy project
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Thanks for the vote of confidence !

"While the rest of them dudes was makin' their bread
Buddy beg your pardon I was losin' mine! "

- Mountain,  Mississippi Queen

This is a bit of a proof of concept, but with finite material, I'm kind of committed already;  not to rule out a lot of tweaking.
My Dad's military-honors flag could use a new case, so that's what I'm hoping to do.

Chris
Working a little closer to a plan.
The flag is carefully wrapped to avoid getting dust on it.

Chris
Happy New Year!

I had some time away to clear the head a bit.

Moving forward, trying to execute some details and recover from some setbacks (some moron broke off a corner of the glass triangle...).

The bottom angle joinery was tack-glued pretty good, then buttressed with some cross dowels.   All to be leveled out with a nice skew plane:

For making the upper wood pieces look a bit thicker (and to support and conceal glass-piece borders),  I recovered some off-cuts to glue and look sort of like it was never cut to begin with:

Happy woodworking!

Chris
Chris
Looks good to me!
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Thanks!

More stuff these last days:

The laminated sides planed down pretty decent; almost can't see those joints.
As mentioned, a real "OOPS" moment when I stepped on the darn glass.
I pondered a thick lower wood border, then later realized I could style it and lighten it a bit, and still cover the missing glass corner:

I was sort of OK with the joinery shape, but it was a bit "too much" in the Route 66 / southwest style, so I shortened the proud fingers a bit:

At this point I'm cleaning up and looking forward to further finishing, as well as a custom fitment of the glass panel:

Happy New Year!
Chris
Nice OOPS!! recovery!
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Thanks!  
Winkgrin

I've been house-bound with the Flu, so I have been able to pretty much wrap the thing.

For the back, I looked and looked for some semi-rigid wood or plywood.  Turns out, on my 2022 guitar build project, I set aside the "kit" mahogany in favor of some nice straight walnut I had.   So now the mahogany back is finally finding a use:

Here it's joined up similar to how it would be joined on a guitar back:

Here's the final assembly.   During the installation of the hallowed flag (dating to my Dad's 2009 funeral), I heard clinking, and I found neatly enclosed in the folds was a pack of bullet casings from the military salute.
For the moment, I have set it on the 2019 wine-cabinet project:

Thanks for watching!
Chris