Sediment Filter Problems
I have had a sediment filter on my water line for about 5 years.  It's a GE brand. For the last several months I seem to be going through filters much more quickly but after these last couple filter changes I am wondering if the water is bypassing the filter.   Until early this year I was changing the filter ~12 weeks.  In the summer it was 6-8 because of the watering of the plants.   The last 2 were changed at about 3 weeks.  Usually it's time to change the filter when the water pressure drops a little.  The filter itself is pretty much evenly coated.   These last 2 time around there was some brown water but no pressure drop, and looking at the filters they were relatively clean, or at least I've seen much worse on the outside. The brown water was also in spurts.   Flush a toilet or take a shower and it would go away for a day or two.  There was a fair bit of sediment settled at the bottom of the housing and the filter seemed more brown than usual on the inside. I am wondering if the housing is starting to bypass.  The filters are an offbrand from Amazon, but I've been using them for at least 18 months.  Home Depot stopped selling the GE products and these filters are also half the cost.

Standard 2x12" or so cloth wound filter?
Is the sponge seals in place?
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(12-18-2023, 06:17 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Standard 2x12" or so cloth wound filter?
Is the sponge seals in place?

sort of.  standard 4x12 or so paper filter.  I am not sure what you mean by sponge seal.  there's a rubber seal at each end of the filter and those are both in place.  The seat on the filter housing doesn't look worn or anything.

Are you on a well?
VH07V  
Yes. My other thought was the dry fall was related but this had been going on for a while.

On mine there is a steel insert at the bottom for the sediment filter does yours have that or did it get stuck to the bottom of the filter when you changed it.
(12-19-2023, 08:14 AM)fixtureman Wrote: On mine there is a steel insert at the bottom for the sediment filter does yours have that or did it get stuck to the bottom of the filter when you changed it.

I don't think so It's not there now if there was one.  I don't recall there ever being one.  This is the one I have

GE Whole House Water Filtration System | Reduces Sediment, Rust & More | Install Kit & Accessories Included | Filter Not Included | Replace Filters (FXHTC, FXHSC) Every 3 Months | GXWH35F, White, 7.50 x 13.50 x 7.75 inches - Amazon.com

I found a couple videos on replacing the filters but they don't show the inside and don't mention a metal insert.  The model with the clear filter cover the bottom looks the same as mine, no metal insert.

When I lived in Hawaii, we had a well. About once a year it had to be flushed because the filters would clog up as you described. To do that we removed the filters and let the water run full blast for about 15 minutes. The filter that clogged up was the 25 micron sediment filter.
VH07V  
I’d suggest looking into one or two spin down filters inline before your ge cartridge.  

They’ll catch the bigger stuff before it reaches the fine filter media of the cartridge. They’re easier & cheaper to maintain as you just back wash them - which can also be automated.

https://www.rusco.com/spin-down-and-sedi...er-filters
(12-19-2023, 01:26 PM)EightFingers Wrote: When I lived in Hawaii, we had a well. About once a year it had to be flushed because the filters would clog up as you described. To do that we removed the filters and let the water run full blast for about 15 minutes. The filter that clogged up was the 25 micron sediment filter.

I have a hose spigot at my well and a 1" water line for the sprinkers (currently shut off for the winter) I assume one or the other of these could be used, or do I need to flush the entire system?