Recent Woodsmith video
The Woodwmith program recently had an episode featuring an air-scrubber for cleaning shop air. They started out with a discussion of how to control dust in the shop, doing the work outside when practical, dust extractors attached to power tools, and wearing face mask to avoid breathing the dust. Then the presentation of how the air scrubber is built. They started with cutting multiple  circles of  3/4" plywood with a router, one of the worst dust offenders in the shop. Cutting circles with a router is something I do outside or, if it's raining, in the garage. They simply brushed or blew the chips and sawdust off the surface of the workpiece instead of using a vacuum cleaner, and of course they were not wearing dust masks. I guess they weren't listening to Chris when he presented his thoughts on dust control in the shop.
Not everyone feels the same way you do about dust.  Why not just enjoy the video for what it is wort  It is difficult enough to produce a video showing something someone thinks is important without the fashion police looking for violations. I saw a video Lie Nielsen made about the manufacturing process a hand plane that goes through from start to finish. Several were upset because someone in the foundry was wearing a tee shirt and didn't have on proper safety protection according to their preconceived ideas of what the safety protection should be. OSHA has safety regulations for about every thing. The company is responsible to see that protective gear required for that operation is followed.  And I feel every strongly that I am the one responsible for my safety. Anyway they missed the real reason of showing all that goes into the making of the plane.

I need to get a new camera or I would post pictures of my 4 dust collectors in the basement of my shop, a 1 HP,  a 1 1/2 HP and 2  2 HP collectors. I also have 2 1HP collectors in my actual shop, so well as shop vacs on my router tables, along with 2 air filters hanging from the ceiling.  I also have a Saw Stop table saw . Although I take safety very serious I can't get it all and I still resort to a hand brush and a shop broom. I am sorry but I only wear a dust mask maybe one percent of the time. 

And after 50 years of woodworking and working is machine shops my lungs are still in good shape.  And if you smoke please do not respond to my post, you have no right.

To sum it all up, there was a person ice skating on the river behind our house and my wife commented that it had been warm a day ort two and that the ice wasn't safe to be on. I asked her if she had personally went down and drilled a hole to find out how thick it was.  She said no, which I knew she hadn't.  Then I said that his safety was his responsibility an his a lone and that he didn't care whether or not she thought it wasn't safe to be on the ice.

Enjoy the video for what it is or was.

I am sure I will get jumped all over because of this post, but remember if you point a finger then you also have 4 pointing back at you.

Tom
“if you point a finger then you also have 4 pointing back at you.”

Not really, the thumb is generally pointing upward!
Wink
VH07V  
I'm way behind on my wood mag reading, and just read the issue that had plans for that air cleaner last week. It looks to me like a good idea though I'm not sure I'll build one. I do need an ambient air clean in my current shop and I have a furnace fan for a home made unit, but that would hang from the ceiling...and I'm not sure I have a place on the ceiling for it. That's the one thing that may move me to the Woodsmith model.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I haven't watched the said episode as I'm not a subscriber. If it includes footage where proper dust collection is not used, it is not news because many other woodworking videos produced professionally commit the same mistake. Even some New Yankee Workshop episodes are like that.

Bad thing? Of course. Perhaps they should do another follow-up episode on how to rout cleanly (cleanly as in relatively dust-free)!
Smirk

Simon
The only show I know of where safety devices are in place for most of the woodworking is Scott Phillips' The American Workshop. He generally wears safety gear and leaves the safety devices attached to his power tools. I don't think there's a single episode of New Yankee Workshop where a blade guard is installed in his table saw. Yes, he makes the disclaimer at the beginning of the show, but so many shows violate recommended safety procedures. I constantly see home remodeling carpenters pushing the work past the blade with their bare hands, standing directly behind the work and the saw without any guards (sometimes only a riving knife). Just this weekend, I saw a show where there was kickback on a miter saw which freaked out the user. At least on a miter saw, the kickback throws the work forward and not backward.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill