Eggy water
(12-23-2023, 08:04 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: …. WH ….

Yep; anyway, how long should an anode last?
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
(12-24-2023, 06:22 PM)Gary G™ Wrote: Yep; anyway, how long should an anode last?

It depends on your water and I think it may depend on if your in and out pipe are properly bonded. I've had them last as little as 4 years at the old house. The Aluminum/Zinc anode I replaced it with lasted about twice that long. That well had great tasting water but had a PH problem. I don't know if fixing the PH or using the Aluminum/Zinc anode or properly bonding the pipes did the trick or all three. More on bonding here

[Image: wU6UITy.jpg]
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

BLUF: need to know the best way to cut the old anode.

Revenge of the plumbing gods—I ordered the replacement anode after getting specs from the manufacturer and ordering from a supply house.
It didn’t dawn on me the 50 gallon tank wouldn’t have enough ceiling clearance to remove and install a new 42” long anode.

No

I drained the tank, pulled the existing rod out as far as possible (35”) and cleaned it as good as I could. Then, refilled the tank and we’ve used lots of hot water.
There’s no more smell.

If it returns, I’ll replace the anode rod with a 33” but I’ll need to cut the old one to remove it.
Gary

(12-31-2023, 06:26 PM)Gary G™ Wrote: BLUF: need to know the best way to cut the old anode.

Revenge of the plumbing gods—I ordered the replacement anode after getting specs from the manufacturer and ordering from a supply house.
It didn’t dawn on me the 50 gallon tank wouldn’t have enough ceiling clearance to remove and install a new 42” long anode.

No

I drained the tank, pulled the existing rod out as far as possible (35”) and cleaned it as good as I could. Then, refilled the tank and we’ve used lots of hot water.
There’s no more smell.

If it returns, I’ll replace the anode rod with a 33” but I’ll need to cut the old one to remove it.

It's soft, you can cut it with a hacksaw. 

Also they sell flexible, segmented anode roads for low clearance conditions. They have the aluminum or magnesium rods cast on a flexible steel cable thay allows you to bend it every foot or so to get it into the tank.
(12-31-2023, 07:00 PM)Tim in Indiana Wrote: It's soft, you can cut it with a hacksaw. 

I can do this.
When the time comes….
Thanks
Gary

Segmented aluminum/zinc anode Link
Double check the nipple size
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

I replaced my anode rod with an electric rod. Sulphur smell is gone. I'm also on a well with a water softener and low micron filters and still had some problem before changing the anode rod.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
(01-02-2024, 05:23 PM)Mr_Mike Wrote: I replaced my anode rod with an electric rod.  Sulphur smell is gone.  I'm also on a well with a water softener and low micron filters and still had some problem before changing the anode rod.

Same here, I have this one.  https://www.corroprotec.com/powered-anode-rod/#
For the time being, we no longer have any smell.
If it returns, I’ll look into this option.
Gary

I had this when I moved into this house.  Like the rest of you, well water, softener, intermittent smell in the hot water, etc.

Tests on the well came up Aces, on every criteria, even on the extended $$ tests.  The cold water lines ran crystal clear, no odor, no taste.

During the move-in, I had the old furnace and water heater replaced, and the smell went away.  The plumber confirmed the statements above that the smell was from bacterial growth.  He said that the new tank would solve the problem, and that maintaining the indirect water zone at a higher temp would prevent it from returning.

~2.5 years later and he seems to have been correct.
You are frequently puzzled by things you tell us you fully understand. - Bob10 to EH 9/22/16

Too much has been made out of my mostly idle comments  - Cletus 12/9/15

You sound like one of those survivalist, hoarder, tin foil hat, militia, clinger, wackjobs.  - Fear Monger 1/30/13