Lane Acclaim Dining Table - Input Please
I have the opportunity to build this table for a client.  This could a good diversion from the deep dive I've been on for the past few months designing and building an original design wood gear clock.  

[Image: ABLVV86_VvAudY32yfgwiNpzqNdegZ-ErQ0sq8yK...authuser=1]

It can be extended to hold three leaves:

[Image: ABLVV86GH10LLA64TtJYE6aZWRIZCuPQW0fqtc2_...authuser=1]

I know walnut was used for some of these tables. The edge profile looks to be red oak in the photos I've seen. I'm not sure if other woods were used, but I'm thinking mahogany and maple would look good.

I think the construction is veneer over plywood for the field with solid wood edging. The dovetail feature is separate from the edging (thankfully) and appears to be cosmetic only. The legs have an interesting flair where they meet the aprons. I think the extension mechanism is the simple wood type, maybe with a centering mechanism, but don't really know. The overall structure looks pretty light and I'm concerned about how sturdy it will be with the extensions installed. The extensions on this one look like they might be solid wood, but I've seen photos of others that have the same edging as on the table, which would suggest veneer over plywood plus the solid wood edge.

If anyone has any insight/recommendations I would appreciate your input very much. Thanks.

John 
I think the extensions need to have the lighter edge banding on them.  In those pics, it looks like they were an afterthought rather than part of the design.

Wood choices?  I'd do Cherry and Maple (hard maple)...but obviously personal preference will dictate the "right" choices.
(12-28-2023, 12:33 AM)JosephP Wrote: I think the extensions need to have the lighter edge banding on them.  In those pics, it looks like they were an afterthought rather than part of the design.

Wood choices?  I'd do Cherry and Maple (hard maple)...but obviously personal preference will dictate the "right" choices.

Agreed.  John, are you going to have a go at the chairs as well?
Looking again....I don't think you need the dovetail in the extension. Might even look better without.
The table was sold in various forms, with and without the edging on the leaves.  I like the look better with the edging so that's what I'll propose.  The only dovetails are in the table proper.  I don't recall seeing any in the leaves.  Some tables had beaded aprons, others not.  Some had the legs ebonized or otherwise colored black near the bottom, others not.  The only description I've seen says it was made with walnut and oak, but I've seen some photos that suggest other woods also were used.  Cherry and maple would look good, but I'm leaning towards mahogany and maple as those woods were more often used for MCM furniture.  

I'm not building the chairs, just the table.  I like that chair design, though, and think they would be another nice project.  

If anyone has or finds a measured drawing, I'd be very grateful.  

John
This site has some general info and photos. looks to be an interesting build.

Good luck.

http://www.massmodern.net/archivestudyco...dinin.html
When you don’t get what you want, you get experience!
Table would be a good challenge.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(12-28-2023, 01:53 PM)Dave Crow Wrote: This site has some general info and photos. looks to be an interesting build.

Good luck.

What do ya'll think of aprons on the extension leaves?  It doesn't look like the table in those pics had aprons on the leaves.  They would store easier that way, but I think it looks more complete with the apron in place - even if it doesn't serve much purpose.
(12-28-2023, 01:53 PM)Dave Crow Wrote: This site has some general info and photos. looks to be an interesting build.

Good luck.

Thanks for that link.  It has some clearly pictures of the details of the table.  Much appreciated.

John
(12-28-2023, 04:50 PM)JosephP Wrote: What do ya'll think of aprons on the extension leaves?  It doesn't look like the table in those pics had aprons on the leaves.  They would store easier that way, but I think it looks more complete with the apron in place - even if it doesn't serve much purpose.

Leaves almost never have aprons, for the reason you stated, hard to store.  It does make the table look ugly without them, but tables usually have a tablecloth over them when being used for large gatherings, so it's not seen anyway.  

John