3M color changing spackling compound
It's cost isn't an issue but I'd like to know people's comments and, more particularly, any "tricks" you've learned.
Don't assume it is completely dry, when it turns white.
I prefer setting compound for the job.  20min. Open time is my preferred version and it forms a stronger / more dense filling.
(12-29-2023, 11:13 PM)Cabinet Monkey Wrote: I prefer setting compound for the job.  20min. Open time is my preferred version and it forms a stronger / more dense filling.

The nice thing about hot mud is it doesn't have to be completely dry before the next coat. The high spots can be easily shaved off with a wide knife because it cures throughout as opposed to the thin areas drying faster. Also less air bubbles because you know it's mixed.

I've tried a bunch of different "bucket" muds and I always go back to USG Greentop. If I'm doing a bigger job, the bucket mud is fine for me although I do prefer hot mud doing corners. I didn't care at all for the lightweight "dustless" stuff. It clogs the sandpaper real fast. Yea, it's cleaner but harder to work with.

Don't know anything about color changing mud, IMHO, i isn't difficult to tell when it's dry enough to work with. Air movement is the key. A ceiling fan helps a lot.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

(12-30-2023, 07:27 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: Don't know anything about color changing mud, IMHO, i isn't difficult to tell when it's dry enough to work with. Air movement is the key. A ceiling fan helps a lot.

i used the color changing stuff a little. I learned that color changing didn't seem to be a good indicator that it was thoroughly dry.
A warning about setting mud is that it can create paint flashing even when well primed. I would recommend bucket mud as a final top coat.
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.