This video is about 2 hours 40 minutes long
Star 
And if my kids were doing it I would be very proud. 
Big Grin  
Cool

Whole house done with hand tools.  Did a few mistakes and they learned from them but I am still proud of them.

Canadian Couple Builds Their DREAM Home with HANDTOOLS! (Tiny Log Cabin in the Forest,

A few points I had to FFW since I just could not watch some of how they did things but again they learned and that is the biggest thing and the house looks nice.  
Yes
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
The wife did alot of projects and really paid attention to detail and meticulous as well.  I liked how he used all the house from trees on his property
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

Kinda remind me of the legendary Dick Proenneke -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaBxxl6ZTTE

Simon
This guy is pretty interesting too; two builds, first one early on, second one more substantial.

https://www.youtube.com/c/ShawnJamesMySe...nce/videos
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I give them a mulligan on using commercial concrete for the footings and a lot of commercially milled lumber (2x4's, OSB flooring, ply sheathing, etc.), because it would take me about 10 years to do what they did in 2.5 years.  I so much wanted to loan them my adze.  It seemed pretty tedious using those short chisels and gouges.  I'd still like to see them person the interior.  That insulation is an invitation for varmits to make a new home.  Mice are notorious for making homes in that stuff.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(12-31-2023, 08:39 AM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: Kinda remind me of the legendary Dick Proenneke -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaBxxl6ZTTE

Simon

Back when we were stationed in Elmendorf from 84 - 88 I worked for an old retried chief who flew on his float plane to his house a few times.  He was a very interesting guy

(12-31-2023, 09:32 PM)AHill Wrote: I give them a mulligan on using commercial concrete for the footings and a lot of commercially milled lumber (2x4's, OSB flooring, ply sheathing, etc.), because it would take me about 10 years to do what they did in 2.5 years.  I so much wanted to loan them my adze.  It seemed pretty tedious using those short chisels and gouges.  I'd still like to see them person the interior.  That insulation is an invitation for varmits to make a new home.  Mice are notorious for making homes in that stuff.

They had to carry all of the stuff in on their backpacks or on their backs.  On the adze i thought the same when watching.   I also like the door they made and in another videos they sealed it all up with mesh and grouting inside and outside

(12-31-2023, 09:32 PM)AHill Wrote: I give them a mulligan on using commercial concrete for the footings and a lot of commercially milled lumber (2x4's, OSB flooring, ply sheathing, etc.), because it would take me about 10 years to do what they did in 2.5 years.  I so much wanted to loan them my adze.  It seemed pretty tedious using those short chisels and gouges.  I'd still like to see them person the interior.  That insulation is an invitation for varmits to make a new home.  Mice are notorious for making homes in that stuff.

it seemed to me that they have some ideas of practicality. they also used ice and water under the steel roof, which i dont think is ever a bad idea.

the insulation- I know of a pole barn with a huge riding arena in which half of it was walled off and being used for things not horse. rockwool insulation then OSB to cover. them mice looooooved it. make themselves a home and make babies.
(01-01-2024, 01:10 PM)tomsteve Wrote: it seemed to me that they have some ideas of practicality. they also used ice and water under the steel roof, which i dont think is ever a bad idea.

the insulation- I know of a pole barn with a huge riding arena in which half of it was walled off and being used for things not horse. rockwool insulation then OSB to cover. them mice looooooved it. make themselves a home and make babies.

Seems like every episode of Maine Cabin Masters they discover mega deposits of mice poop where insulation was covered up.  It's not like log cabins are super weather-tight in the first place, but when you are chinking, most builders person both exterior and interior joints.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill