Drop down outlets
Am I losing my mind or do I remember a time when you could find an outlet that would hang from the ceiling?  Maybe I'm thinking of an air line and not electric?  
Confused
You likely wouldn't want to buy this one (price) but they are made. There are covers for the box that have a knock out in the center allowing a cable clamp to be installed and clamp the cord. It's a lot more common for someone to just make their own and most folks will put a strain relief on them. I had drop down outlets from ceiling outlets, it was a short extension cord plugged into the outlet, and then supported with a strain relief.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(01-07-2024, 10:48 AM)fredhargis Wrote: You likely wouldn't want to buy this one (price) but they are made. There are covers for the box that have a knock out in the center allowing a cable clamp to be installed and clamp the cord. It's a lot more common for someone to just make their own and most folks will put a strain relief on them. I had drop down outlets from ceiling outlets, it was a short extension cord plugged into the outlet, and then supported with a strain relief.

Thanks!  And you're right... too much $$ there.
Rockler sells a Volt King 40 foot 12 gauge cord real for $100. I have two and one hangs over my work bench They plug into a 20 amp circuit.   I use the drop downs all the time.  But I also have 10 ft. ceilings.  I also have another one in my garage. I bought that one on sale at Menards. I would imagine you could also get one at Home Depot or Lowes for less money. I got 2 from Rockler several years back on sale so they were no ways near the price of  today. All of mine are 12 gauge wires for 20 Amp circuits. It never hurts to use a heavier gouge wire than needed when using extension cords. You can plug in 12 gauge (20 amp) extension cords into a 15 amp circuit if the plug will allow it.

My cords have a 3 head plug in. I am sure a person can get by with one that has 14 gauge wire depending on what is going to be run off from the extension cord and it's length.. Remember that a 40 ft. extension cord is a 40 foot extension even if it is being used 10 feet away.

Tom
In the shop, I have one that I dangled a 12-2 and a 12-3 down from the attic and zip tied them together, hooking up 2 recep boxes back to back. One 220V and a 120V.
It's over the end of a bench that is surrounded by router tables, a bandsaw and a 6x89 sander. The power for all those items, and it is not out in the open subject to being run into.

And I also have a 3-outlet 12ga cord reel hanging by the edge of another bench. I find it's not useful there as I have elec coming from the floor up to the bench which has 3 outlets on the bench.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Here is approach I used:

[Image: IMG-1823.jpg]" />
My entire shop is drops out of the ceiling - 110 and 220v. PM me if you want me to take some pictures and I can do so. The wire runs direct from the panel to a junction box, has a strain relief attachment at the junction box and then drops between 6 - 15’ with the receptacle at the end.
(01-07-2024, 07:27 PM)jcredding Wrote: My entire shop is drops out of the ceiling - 110 and 220v.  PM me if you want me to take some pictures and I can do so.  The wire runs direct from the panel to a junction box, has a strain relief attachment at the junction box and then drops between 6 - 15’ with the receptacle at the end.

My shop has several drops from the ceiling but they are all extension cords run to wall outlets.

What I really should do is run a couple circuits along the ceiling and use shorter extension cords hanging from there.

I also have the auto rewind cords several places.
(01-07-2024, 10:38 AM)KC Wrote: Am I losing my mind or do I remember a time when you could find an outlet that would hang from the ceiling?  Maybe I'm thinking of an air line and not electric?  
Confused

I have 3 twist lock receptacles . One has an 18" cord that hangs over the end of my bench. The other two are 220 Volt  twist locks, one for a lathe and the other for a milling machine.
Thanks for the responses!  I originally intended to build a wall through the middle of the garage so I could heat just one bay... but the heater (Farenheat ceiling mount) is effective for the whole garage, so I nixed the wall when building materials went through the roof.  Still be handy to have some outlets there, tho.